What causes listening "fatigue"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To me the key is getting the crucial midrange and higher to fill the space cleanly. Take a diminutive girl, playing a plaintive melody on a simple flute - put the real thing in a huge space, and her playing will dominate, overwhelm that space - no super muscular PA required to get the job done! That's exactly how an audio system should work, raw HP in the normal sense is not necessary ...

That is fine as long as you never listen to anything but a diminutive girl playing a flute.
Small speakers struggle to do a full-sized acoustic guitar justice in a large space.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
B&W Matrix 801
Could you help me to understand this. I went to hear a set of these because everyone was saying how good they are, and on the positive side these do have something.

The setup was sub-optimal but the room was large enough. This 'something' is what some people would call dynamics, but it's not what I know 'dynamics' to be. Anyway, I found myself with one eye on that tweeter pod and one eye on the front door.

I once tried a tweeter pod based on these, and while I know I didn't do as good a job then as B&W have, these lasted all of a week for me. The B&W sound reminded me of this.

No, "small" amplifiers struggle to fill a large space. Most people see a small speaker, and believe it only deserves a small amplifier - the end result therefore is "small" sound ...

AllenB's experience suggests a similar "problem" - a capable speaker being driven by insufficient HP ...

Last edited:
Matrix 801s are as close as you can get to an "average" higher end monitor. They have minimal crossovers very good drivers, non refracracting, non resonant cabs, a 5" kevlar mid doing all of the important touchy mid chores. A fairly loose 12" woofer that still isn't objectionable, and a tweeter that is flat and revealing. A near perfect "median" speaker
for mastering chores and nor a bad classical and jazz listener either. In short they are a great compromise for the job they intended them for and not ridiculous to buy.

Could you help me to understand this. I went to hear a set of these because everyone was saying how good they are, and on the positive side these do have something.

The setup was sub-optimal but the room was large enough. This 'something' is what some people would call dynamics, but it's not what I know 'dynamics' to be. Anyway, I found myself with one eye on that tweeter pod and one eye on the front door

I once tried a tweeter pod based on these, and while I know I didn't do as good a job then as B&W have, these lasted all of a week for me. The B&W sound reminded me of this.

I have no doubt whatsoever that a khorn mildly tweaked by some of the top guys here would be the pinnacle of a 3 way, and that there would be no further improvement possible using cones and domes in a corner. It's all I would ever care to listen too. There would be no fatigue

Nautilus models are not better . Its not even a particularly good speaker and tweeter is just criminally bad for the price and I'm not presenting here snobbish attitude. My friend has a pair and with Mcintosh furnace it's a pretty decent match. K -horn has a phenomenal midbass with right drivers, really reference quality 50Hz -200Hz. I have altecs in mine. Some say Vitavox version is the ultimate one. I really disliked that k-33-E booming bastard but with altecs its out of this world (I never heard long ,straight tubas of comparable cut off fr .;)

Regardless of amp size a couple of speakers with 6.5" woofers will not be able fill a large room with good, low-distortion sound.
It's newthink.
Orwellian physics are in full play in 2013. Real reality is barely legal. To witt via Hollywood propaganda:
100 lb women beat up 200 lb men everyday , people don't need to expend energy to get something in return, why shouldn't a few 6.5 inch woofers fill a huge room with vlf bass? There is no reality there is no truth there are no labels. Who are we to judge that a 6.5 inch woofer cant fill a coliseum? that is just being negative.
(-:

I have no doubt whatsoever that a khorn mildly tweaked by some of the top guys here would be the pinnacle of a 3 way, and that there would be no further improvement possible using cones and domes in a corner. It's all I would ever care to listen too. There would be no fatigue

So the ultimate speaker was designed in 1952 or so. To think that I wasted 30 years in my career as a speaker designer.

K Horns do some things well but they are not beyond reproach. I have designed both horn loaded studio monitors and a fair number of cone and dome speakers. I would not chose horns in any case where I didn't need an extreme output level, colorations are usually there and the smoothness of good cone and dome drivers is usually absent. Certainly the mid and top elements of K-Horns are not comparable in performance to the better CD horns designed from the early 80s onwards.

David S.

Oh I think going CD on that mid horn would be the first tweak I would expect you, as one of the guys here I was speaking of, to do. I have some Sentry llls. Mate that cd horn to a khorn bottom with the driver optimized, and yep, you would be there.

The setup was sub-optimal but the room was large enough. This 'something' is what some people would call dynamics, but it's not what I know 'dynamics' to be. Anyway, I found myself with one eye on that tweeter pod and one eye on the front door.

So the ultimate speaker was designed in 1952 or so. To think that I wasted 30 years in my career as a speaker designer.

K Horns do some things well but they are not beyond reproach. I have designed both horn loaded studio monitors and a fair number of cone and dome speakers. I would not chose horns in any case where I didn't need an extreme output level, colorations are usually there and the smoothness of good cone and dome drivers is usually absent. Certainly the mid and top elements of K-Horns are not comparable in performance to the better CD horns designed from the early 80s onwards.

David S.

Well, while I am waiting for my Crown -- it is repaired and scheduled to be delivered tomorrow -- I'm listening on my little Bose computer speakers. They are pleasant and unfatiguing. They pass the Pirsig test.

Very low volume levels are guaranteed to be non fatiguing. Keep lowering the level and fatigue becomes impossible. Not trying to be cute here but useful dynamic range means you essentially start with the noise floor of your room (which is a lot higher than some realize) Perhaps this accounts for my affinity for horn loaded speakers. Here is another observation, myself and other mix engineers/ ME's have been very surprised to notice that reverb tail timing is a lot easier to do with horn loaded speakers, it "pops out" much better than in direct cone speaker monitors such as the 801's. I have no idea what the mechanics of this is. Speaker Dave, on this subject but moving to the bass I *do* believe the time is right for a JBL style horn loaded mid field monitor. Like it or not Hip Hop *is* pop music and it *is* going in a direction that is going to make using very small near field monitors next to impossible to use for mixing.We are now dealing without, for example, the "anchor" of a kick drum around 65-70 hz. Instead, sans kick, we dealing with 30-45 hz "sine-ish" tr-808 anchor instead of a kick drum to mix around. What is new here is the kick is being, well "kicked out" Adding subs to 2 way's introduce but one more variable into a place that damn sure needs no more variables! I notice that my friends at Presonus are giving the two way coax another go, but using dsp to try to solve the "Rocky Mountain" skyline in the interference zone. I think it's safe to say a 3 way is going to be needed to hit the pocket here. How novel :rolleyes:

Not only that- the poster in question claims to be able to do this with computer speakers.

Must be that he has some speakers from Krypton. :superman:

I could do that with my computer speakers ie Monsoon PM-9's, not loudly mind you but at two meters would do ~92dB. Plenty for easy listening and enough for the neighbors to complain regardless of the time of day. Room size was 14x23

If I go to an audio store that carries mostly $1,000+ per pair speakers I would expect most to at least be fairly pleasant to listen to. But, at least 9 out of 10 of these (and other) speakers I've heard do not draw me into the music, do not soothe me when I hear them, and, more often than not, are so poor sounding to me that I usually want to turn them off in a mater of minutes.

I don't know if something in me has changed now that I'm old compared to when I was 20-something and before, I loved listening to all kinds of music even on my cheap-o bookshelf speakers. Now, each time I try, it's not pleasant, I end up giving up quickly and turning it off.

I blame digital here. Hell, my nephew's head banger death metal mastered in the '80s and 90's sounds better played back on LP rather than CD on their medium quality system. You can make out the difference across the room between the heavily distorted guitar licks and death vocals a lot easier on LP.

Last edited:
Recording pre digital knowing full well that there will eventually be audible high end rolloff. Early on in the digital era the engineers were taken by surprise. A good example of non intentional "preemphasis": An AKG 414 was a bright vocal mic but not *after* about a zillion playbacks of the tape and transfer to 2 track 1/2 @ 15ips and then to vinyl. Now there are less bright variants of the the 414. Why? because they are needed. Another kicker, "dark" ribbon mics are much more useful use now that we don't have to deal with that rolloff. Turns out they were not that dark. A ribbon mic. Now there you have the epitome of a non fatiguing transducer

I blame digital here. Hell, my nephew's head banger death metal mastered in the '80s and 90's sounds better played back on LP rather than CD on their medium quality system. You can make out the difference across the room between the heavily distorted guitar licks and death vocals a lot easier on LP.

Regardless of amp size a couple of speakers with 6.5" woofers will not be able fill a large room with good, low-distortion sound.
It all depends on the sound that you're after - if one's thing is waterbed bladder bass, great rolling waves of thudding and bellowing, the typical low cost home theatre racket - I'm reminded of this because I just heard a bit of this nonsense in the local shopping centre - then they probably won't satisfy. However, if you want tight, hard bass that grabs you in the appropriates then the smaller units will do an admirable job - you can get drivers that do a 120dB peak, which will be enough to give you permanent hearing damage in 5 minutes or so, if you're so inclined ...

Do you mean tens of 6.5" flushed into the walls? They may sound different yeah.

There is no substitute for large area of air deflected by single membrane. We need large cone, big xmax and strong magnet to maintain linearity. No free lunch.

We can use 6.5" woofer plus horn but the horn itself is not small especially if we need extra extension the way a box can give. The worst thing is the coloration that may easily follow due to the sound quality before the horn.

Any big box will help small woofers but boxes have colors as well. Plus other issues related to phase and group delay. Then some kind of Doppler distortion if the small woofer has to handle both bass and midrange.

We can otherwise use open baffle to avoid box coloration. To increase sensitivity we can use dipole in a h frame. But still 6.5" is too small. 12" or 10" is better.

I have seen 6" subwoofer tho. Big xmax and loong magnet. Such is rare.

Small amps and small woofers can sound close to their big brothers in a smaller room. But is difficult and the parts must be of the top quality.

I don't believe in line array btw.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.