What causes listening "fatigue"? - Page 43 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2013, 04:43 PM   #421
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to monty78pig
Don't you know anything?

Meters mean nothing at all. Can meters explain music?

This is why we have the digital audio disaster! Music isn't 1s and 0s! It can only be faithfully reproduced by simplicity like dragging a diamond through a plastic trench shaped like the original waveform...

The only meters you need are your ears! You say distortion, poor frequency response, poor damping and noise. I say sparkle, smoothness, natural colour and atmosphere...
Old 26th July 2013, 05:08 PM   #422
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Although not the topic of this thread, I do have a pair of small speakers with flat on-axis midrange response that sound dreadful. Congested, thick, not pleasant to listen to. With a broad EQ dip in the midrange they can be made tolerable. Still haven't figured that out. Maybe a waterfall plot would tell me something.
Old 26th July 2013, 05:22 PM   #423
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I do have a pair of small speakers with flat on-axis midrange response that sound dreadful. Congested, thick, not pleasant to listen to.
Just wait a few days and they will sound fine!
Old 26th July 2013, 05:37 PM   #424
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty78pig View Post
Don't you know anything?

Meters mean nothing at all. Can meters explain music?

This is why we have the digital audio disaster! Music isn't 1s and 0s! It can only be faithfully reproduced by simplicity like dragging a diamond through a plastic trench shaped like the original waveform...

The only meters you need are your ears! You say distortion, poor frequency response, poor damping and noise. I say sparkle, smoothness, natural colour and atmosphere...
Then grab your ear leads and measure that resistor! Subjectivity only goes so far in design. Take your amp for example, was it designed without test equipement? Certainly not. If an output distorted can you put your finger on the bad componets by using only your ears? Most certainly not. Ever checked the calibration of a piece of audio equipement as required by the consultant, with a NIST traceable certified distortion analyzer? Tell him you did it all with your ears, not only would you be laughed out of the control room, but likely to be looking for a new job.
Old 26th July 2013, 08:53 PM   #425
diyAudio Member

LOL - Didn't you pick up on the sarcasm? I've been so caught up in fighting audio woo recently I've somehow managed to apply Poes Law to audio. I knew I should have added one of these -

DW, I'm no subjectivist if you look at a few of the amps I've posted they're very objectively designed!

Peace!
Old 26th July 2013, 08:54 PM   #426
diyAudio Member

Should probably get back on topic...

I think multiband compression and high frequency distortion in particular is a surefire way to fatigue...
Old 26th July 2013, 09:04 PM   #427
diyAudio Member

Yes a wink would have been all that was needed. Sometimes the sarcasm gets mixed up with truely bizarro thoughts by some, who do think that way.
Old 26th July 2013, 09:11 PM   #428
diyAudio Member

Yeah sorry. We secretly love them though, the unwitting satirists they are...
Old 26th July 2013, 11:57 PM   #429
diyAudio Member

Default PreAmp for listening fatigue attenuation

Listening "fatigue" no one can deny that it really exists!

What causes it? Most probably mid and high frequency distortion(s).

Can we attenuate it, in a simple manner? Yes, but, doing that, we will surely sacrifice some of the emotion and soul of the music, of course.

Here is a simple preamp schematic, with a very subtle mid/high frequency attenuator, and a buffer output stage. Instead of two single opamps, it should be used a dual OPA2134.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BufferVolumeTone_06d.JPG (50.8 KB, 115 views)
Old 27th July 2013, 01:00 AM   #430
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Although not the topic of this thread, I do have a pair of small speakers with flat on-axis midrange response that sound dreadful. Congested, thick, not pleasant to listen to. With a broad EQ dip in the midrange they can be made tolerable. Still haven't figured that out. Maybe a waterfall plot would tell me something.
If it was me that had them, I'd hammer the bejeezus out of them for a couple of hours with high energy R&R, push them as hard as I dared, away in a soundproof room if necessary. Then, come back at the finish, and have another listen ...

Hide this!Advertise here!