MTM project using 7" vifa drivers - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2008, 03:40 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

The brown stuff in the enclosures is the melamine/felt constrained layer damping. I used a simple cross brace across the sides and back. Tomorrow I'll try and finish the crossover and if I'm lucky, I'll have these babies up and running
Old 20th May 2008, 09:26 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

The cabinets look beautiful. The veneer is great.

The only concern is the way you have recessed the tweeter. The cavity might cause some nasty diffraction effects, requiring more crossover work to smooth out.

If you are recessing to time-align the drivers, that is not necessary. You can usually achieve this via some asymmetry in your crossover slopes

David.
Old 21st May 2008, 01:33 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Hey Dave, glad you like it. I'm really happy with it as this is really my first project. i'm basically cloning the Lipinski L 707 which in turn were inspired by the truly venerable Dunlavys.

http://www.lipinskisound.com/l707.aspx

Just like these, I'm using an open cell foam for the tweeter surrounds. Inductor has been helping me out with the crossover which is a non symmetric crossover. The tweeter is a second order LR while the mid range driver has a first order butterworth.

Once I have these hooked up I'll be able to take some good measurements with SW and fine tune the network from there.

I'll post some more pics soon... and thanks again

Jason.
Old 7th February 2009, 05:52 PM   #54
burnett is offline burnett  Germany
diyAudio Member

Any news on how this project turned out in the end?
I'm really curious to know because the reference is more than auspicious.
Old 11th February 2009, 04:43 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Hi burnett,
Also have in consideration that this xover was designed with both woofers being identical, and not in a typical d'Appolito configuration, with them working one as a woofer and another as a midwoofer. There's a lot (of interesting things) that can be done/tested...
Old 12th February 2009, 10:27 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Hi inductor,

thank's for chiming in again. I did realize that the crossover treats the woofer in parallel configuration.

Sadly those Vifa MG are nowhere to be found due to being discontinued quite some time ago.

In the meantime I came across this speaker: http://www.emes.de/pageseng/products/eblue/eblue.html

Specs are really great, and as far as I could investigate they use all scan speak drivers.
Old 13th February 2009, 12:18 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Hi burnett,
Are you building a new set of speakers? (we can ask the administrator to start a new tread for you, if you want later). What are you looking at, besides the MTM, drivers, etc, you want a good low end, like this is a mid woofer w/no woofer (sow to say) and it's ressonant frequency must go deep to the 30's(/20's). So you are looking at a 2in1 job, right.
Old 13th February 2009, 05:29 PM   #58
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi burnett,

take the 17WN225 of Vifa, as I did in my before mentioned speakers. They are still the best 7" of Vifa. You won´t find better signal handling in any of the more modern designs. I´m pretty sure they perform minimum on the Lipinsky´s level. At least they measure better in many aspects. And they are absolutely easy to drive with a 20W tube amp beeing more than sufficient.

jauu
Calvin
Old 15th February 2009, 10:32 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Yes, and there are many kevlar cones in the market, also consider Davis,
Davis 17KLV 6A

This Vifa woofer, $45.21 EA (4+), has a Fs=37Hz, not so highish, from PE
Vifa P17WJ-00-08

The best thing would be to have 3 or 4 and simulate them with the front baffle.

...And for the tweeter, maybe a Mivoc KFT 130M (EUR 49,00), or other, that you can turn 0º and 90º, rotating it on the baffle, with a special square support behind. Or a Davis TW26 K tweeter with kevlar cone for that matter. Have fun.
Old 18th February 2009, 04:31 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Thank you Inductor & Calvin for all those hints and advices. I'll take all this input into consideration, spend some more time to evaluate my needs more precise and come back if I'm really ready to get things started.

I might have taken this a bit too easy :-)

But it's good to know that there are "wise" people out there.

Hide this!Advertise here!