Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2008, 02:27 PM   #1
UK Dave is offline UK Dave  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Sheilded options for 2 way or 2.5 way

Hi

I'm looking for some advice on what 2 or 2.5 way design to build.

I'm looking towards a Zaph SR71, Jays Usher/Peerless, Ellam-XT, or something similar. i.e. stand mount, reasonable quality, proven design, using a pre-built cabinet.

Zaph SR71 (or Jays eqiv. design) - Seas ER18RNX / Seas 27TDFC - http://www.zaphaudio.com/SR71.html
Jays - Usher 8945P / Peerless 810921 HDS - http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spk...Usher_2way.htm
Ellam-XT - Scan-Speak 15W/8530-K00 / Vifa XTt25TG (or D2904/9800) - http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/EllamXT.htm

One big issue I have is that due to room lay-out the speaker placement is next to a CRT TV, and I therefore need speakers to be shielded. These are only going to be used for music not HT

I've looked on various web sites and can't seem to find any information about the shielded qualities (or lack of) for these speakers.

If none are suitable can anyone suggest a similar set-up that uses shielded speakers.

Can anyone help ?

Dave
Old 4th April 2008, 03:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hey Dave,

Have you considered adding bucking magnets to the woofers?
Some probably would not do this, as there is some risk of altering the frequency response of the driver, but if you stay around 75% or less (anybody please correct if I'm off) of the driver magnet weight there is usually no problem.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:45 AM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, Seas sell shielding kits for their drivers, so an option, /sreten.
Old 20th April 2008, 07:57 PM   #4
UK Dave is offline UK Dave  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies sdclc126/sreten

I've looked into this and checked with Seas. They don't make a kit for the ER18RNX driver. They explain it as follows......

"We do in fact not recommend shielding of such large magnet systems, simply because of the extra mechanical load that is added to the connection between the chassis and the magnet system."

With regards the bucking magnets, this could work, but may have issues as explained by Seas. Also I don't want to go through all the effort and cost of building these only to find I can't place them where I need them.

So it's back to the drawing board, currently Jim Griffins Jordan/Aurum Cantus G2Si Mini monitor is looking favorite.

Regards

Dave
Old 21st April 2008, 06:46 AM   #5
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Depends how close you want the speaker to a CRT. Never had a problem even within 300mm. Shielded drivers really limits your choices.

Hide this!Advertise here!