1x10" bass guitar monitor with variable port tuning and notch filter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thinking about building a compact bass cab using the Eminence DeltaLite II 2510, for monitoring myself whilst recording the rhythm section. I always DI the bass so this is purely so the drummer and I can hear me. I'm thinking a simple single speaker cab should work ok for this as the directionality in the treble will reduce bleed into the drum mics. Two (hopefully) neat ideas I have are having two tube ports the size of a tennis ball, so with both open the cab is tuned to 50Hz, one closed the cab is tuned to 35Hz, both closed and its sealed. The idea behind this is to combat boominess due to boundary reinforcement and room gain when we're in a smaller space. The second idea is to use some crossover components to reduce the increasing on-axis output from the 10" and particularly the break-up peak and therefore gain flatter response more similar to my usual woofer+midrange cabs. The obvious way to do this at the moment is a notch filter.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Alex

sreten said:
Hi,

Rather than a passive crossover, doing it actively before the power
amplifier might be a more straightforward idea in terms of headroom.

(or for the more advanced modding the power amplifier feedback.)

:)/sreten.

Absolutely but my amp has a complete surfeit of headroom (550W/ch 8 ohms, 2000W bridged @ 8).

Predicted results of first attempt at a filter:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And the three cab alignments vs my 15" cab:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Alex

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1x10" bass guitar monitor with variable port tuning and notch filter?

Brett said:
Pfft. For a studio recording monitor where you need to hear you and the other tracks accurately, they are unequalled.

But when the drummer and I are laying down the foundations with no guide tracks then getting a good vibe in the room matters more than total bleed avoidance.

Alex

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1x10" bass guitar monitor with variable port tuning and notch fil

alexclaber said:

But when the drummer and I are laying down the foundations with no guide tracks then getting a good vibe in the room matters more than total bleed avoidance.

Alex
That has far more to do with you and the drummer than whether a speaker or cans are used to monitor.
A single 10 is still going to struggle in the same room as a drummer as it won't be able to put out anywhere near the acoustic power of a set of drums unless you only play tepid audiophile jazz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.