Constant directivity horn - or waveguide?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the process of migrating from fullrange driver to a widerange driver. This unit will be crossed at 4000 - 5000 hz handing the duties over to compression driver/tweeter.

What I want to know is: should I choose a waveguide and trouble myself with EQ'ing the falling output, or settle with a CD horn that is less demanding?

BTW are there anyone that can suggest a decent compression driver for this purpose? I think aluminium or mylar would be best considering their breakup pattern.

Cheers
Kris

GM

Joined 2003
You're better off using a super tweeter horn than 'forcing' a typical 1" exit compression driver to do this BW IMO, though Fostex is the only brand that comes to mind at the moment.

That said, this driver/horn combo works well with little/no EQ: http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/902series.pdf
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/specs/components/mr931.htm

It's my understanding that the horn is being made again by GPA though I didn't find it on their site. Anyway, it gives you a reference for comparing to other units.

GM

Hello.
I think GM is right (as usual) go for a good "supertweeter" instead. I like Beyma CP21 a lot, can be xo´d at 5k. If You want to try a compressiondriver Beyma SMC225nd is good but You have to make your own horn, fun but tricky, the hornflares on the market are designed for xo from 800-1500 so they have lost much
of their charctheristics in upper registers. If Your hand go for a biradial design, nice directional character and looks good to.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

I currently have an open baffle speaker with a ATC 15" driver and a Hemp Acoustics 6.5" full ranger. I plan to replace the ful range unit with a B&C midrange like the 6MD38 or a PHL Audio midrange.
The idea of a single driver covering the 300-3000 range appeals to me.

At 3000 hz and above a 6.5" driver is going to be directional and thats why I want to mate it with a tweeter that is also directional.
Another reason is that I generally dislike dome tweeters; to me they sound thin like the drummer is striking the cymbals with matchsticks. I aim for the dynamic and 'meaty' top end that compression drivers often have.

A driver that can be crossed at 4000 hz with a little room to spare (3. order filter at the most) and high sensitivity would be nice.

Maybe the 18Sound XD125? http://www.eighteensound.it/index.aspx?mainMenu=view_product&pid=262

Kris

Directivity and x-over

Thanks mates,

ttan98 & Brett; good suggestions. However I've had to rethink my end goal. As I am using a 6.5" driver crossed at 4000-5000 hz, depending on measurements and subjective impressions, the directivity of the driver around x-over will be a lot narrower than 90 degrees. This means that the tweeter should be somewhere around 50 or 60 degrees dispersion. I have been tempted by bullet style drivers like the Beyma CP-22 but the 40 degree dispersion is not optimal, and crossing at 4000 hz might cause the driver to "puke it's guts out" as a friend of mine describes it.

A 1" comp. driver might do the trick but again - finding a horn that suits the 4000-18.000 cycle range might prove difficult. There are some fine looking horns at the DDS site, though...

BTW. the Supravox TW2-20 looks really good on paper. On the other hand paper is cheap and I'd hate to splash out on an unknown entity.

Kris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.