yet another transmission line question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2008, 02:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default yet another transmission line question

Hello all,
The TL design programs are Greek to me so I'm just going real basic planning for a classic tapered line with 125/100 sd about 8ft long for 30 hz. I've found two 10" woofers that fit my requirements for 24db crossover @450 hz but I have no idea if they are good for TL application. Someone please have a look at the specs below and advise on which woofer is best for a TL (other advise is welcomed too):

Driver A: Fs 21 / Vas 5.58 ft3 / Qms 3.68 / Qes .37 / Qts .33

Driver B: Fs 23 / Vas 6.85 ft3 / Qms 3.52 / Qes .58 / Qts .41

thanks,
Charlie
Old 31st March 2008, 02:55 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

I spent time here helping you and didn't even get a response for my efforts, instead starting this thread, so I think I'll pass this time around: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...36#post1462036

GM
Old 6th July 2008, 05:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default thanks for your help

GM:
Please accept humble apologies for being unthoughtful. Believe me, your advice did not go unheaded-- had you not pointed out the futility of my original box design, I might have used it with disasterous results.

As it was, I devised a radically different design using a still compact but much larger box volume with longer 9ft line using Roger Sanders' cookbook recommendations for line sections of 125% of cone area at the front and 100% at the terminus. Having already offended your hospitality, I was then too embarrassed to ask you to run another simulation. I've completed the speakers and I think they sound great -- not sure if frequency response is better than a sealed box but I'm convinced the resulting lack of coloration and overall sonic character was worth the effort.

Anyway, I just wanted to apologize and thank you for your help.

here's a link to my new thread with pics:

It's Alive !!
Old 6th July 2008, 05:44 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieM

I've completed the speakers and I think they sound great -- not sure if frequency response is better than a sealed box but I'm convinced the resulting lack of coloration and overall sonic character was worth the effort.
You're welcome!

Probably not, but at least the TL has a better acoustic phase response, so theoretically it's a better performing alignment overall.

Anyway, glad my efforts were of some use and thanks for the update!

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!