tower floorstander suggestion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2008, 03:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default tower floorstander suggestion

Hi,
I'd like to build a pair of tower floorstanders for my living-room. Until now I've been listening to a pair of 2-way sealed Dynaudio bookshelf speakers: nice sound and nice bass dampening as well as I prefer detailed bass instead of extension.

Now I'd like to build a pair of towers to bring axis at the right position and, why not, getting some extra power. That's why I'm interested in MTM or TMM configurations but, absolutely, in SEALED configuration.

I own a pair of unused Morel MW166 midwoofers (good for sealed boxes) they seem to be a good choice for both MTM and TMM solutions and I'd use them.

I'm afraid by the dispersion issues of MTM configuration and TMM project complexity... in a few words: I DON'T KNOW WHICH DESIGN TO USE.... I have non chance to build both testboxes!

In other words, I'd like to get a sound similar to my Dyn's which are good also if I'm standing and walking around in the living room, not necessarily sit on the sofa at the center of the focus... please give me some suggestion.

Thanks!
Old 29th March 2008, 09:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Do you have measuring equipment to measure the frequency responces of the drivers in-box? And do you have experience in designing crossovers for speakers?
If no, do you think you'll be willing to learn that?

Aren't the MTM dispersion issues partly a good thing? Less floor and ceiling reflections.
Old 30th March 2008, 01:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Landroval
Do you have measuring equipment to measure the frequency responces of the drivers in-box? And do you have experience in designing crossovers for speakers?
If no, do you think you'll be willing to learn that?

Aren't the MTM dispersion issues partly a good thing? Less floor and ceiling reflections.
Yes, I can get the measuring equipment for loan...

Yes I have some little experience in car x-overs: I've made my first version with a simulation software then some heavy tuning, listening and listening until a reasonable result was achieved....

I can feel you are for the MTM option... thanks!
Old 31st March 2008, 01:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,
due to my embarass in choosing the right driver configuration I'd be glad if someone would suggest me his impressions about the "MTM vs TMM" question.

Here's a table, please fill it in with your impressions.

Thanks for your patience.
Gianmaria
Attached Images
File Type: gif mtmvstmm.gif (3.2 KB, 172 views)
Old 31st March 2008, 02:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Since you like your current speakers, why not build woofer cabinets that are also matching stands for the bookshelf speakers? With the right plate subwoofer amp, you could adjust the bass to suit your preferences.
Old 1st April 2008, 06:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tosh
Since you like your current speakers, why not build woofer cabinets that are also matching stands for the bookshelf speakers? With the right plate subwoofer amp, you could adjust the bass to suit your preferences.
Hi Tosh,
my actual beloved bookshelf speakers will stay by my parent's apartment.

I need to build a brand new pair of speakers for my new accomodation...

Hide this!Advertise here!