Beginning of some DIY speakers - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2008, 01:58 AM   #111
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to cyberspyder
Default 99% DONE!

June 13, 2008
-Finally :B Still have to glue the cleats in, you can probably see the baffles are not fixed yet. First impressions: Alot of bass, hmmm, how to fix this? Will dampening improve this, as I didn't put any yet...and will sealing in the baffle decrease the muddiness?

Click the image to open in full size.

The finish looks spectacular in sunlight, but looks like crap under regular indoor lights. The tung oil adds alot of depth to the wood.

Brendan
Old 14th June 2008, 03:28 AM   #112
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just spent 30min reading this thread.. really good work! I wish I had those woodwork skills when I was 16, and such a great workshop!

I notice in your pictures that you did manage to get some carpet underlay. I am assuming this is to be used as internal acoustic damping?

I'm sorry to bring bad news, but it isn't going to work. For sound absorption a material has to be porus or open cell. The only carpet underlay that is like that is 'hair felt' underlay. All modern stuff such as what you have there is closed cell foam or rubber. Its nice ans squishy, and is a good barrier to sound from one room to the other but it doesn't absorb sound which is what you need for speaker damping.

What you could do with is some fiber insulation like the compressed sheets they use in cavity walls or the more fluffy stuff for putting above the ceiling, in the loft. Alternatively if you can't get hold of that in small quantities you can buy gray egg box type studio foam from online suppliers of studio recording kit. Digital village and Studio Spares are places here in the UK. PE probably do it too.

P.S. the glass table they are on may not help the sound.
Old 14th June 2008, 09:36 AM   #113
bastek is offline bastek  United States
diyAudio Member

That makes sense. I've opened up some really expensive speakers and all i see is fiber glass or gray foam, dacron fill if it's sealed. Then again, Troels and some other competent designers use carpet foam.
Old 14th June 2008, 02:53 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Maybe they know a source of open cell carpet foam, but I assure you that most is not.

If you kit out a new listening room and you carpet it, make sure you use hair felt underlay, don't accept foam or rubber! It is hard to find these days, but I got some for my room under the name of 'enviro-felt' since it is now only used by people who care about the environment or something!
Old 15th June 2008, 03:13 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

Trust me, it's open-celled carpet padding.

Anyways, some better pics, I glued in the cleats today.

Brendan
Old 15th June 2008, 07:15 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

Hi Cyberspyder!! really nice work!
I have used a carpet underlay avaliable here in Australia that is made from recycled plastic bottle tops ( HDPE I think ) makes a great first layer for absorbing high frequency, it is about a centimetre thick with a very open texture but I haven't seen an open foam underlay here, can you post a clear photo of the product??

I have also at times used dense foam to damp vibration in cabinet walls but thats mainly because it was there and doing nothing on my shelf, it did work tho (LOL )
Regards Ted
Old 15th June 2008, 08:21 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Wow, beautiful work! I might have missed it...how do they sound?
Old 15th June 2008, 03:04 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

If it sucks in water like a sponge it is probably open cell. If doesn't guzzle up the watter, it isn't.
Old 15th June 2008, 03:21 PM   #119
mightym is offline mightym  United States
diyAudio Member

The foam pictured above looks like a carpet underlayment quite common to the US market ( I have no idea about other markets ).

I've been to the factory's where it's produced, and hauled truckloads to carpet distributors.

It's made from a combination of recycled foam, foam factory cuttings, and new foam. It's open celled, and should be quite suitable.

The whole kit and caboodle is ground and mixed with the urethane resins and formed in huge bricks, then machine trimmed, cut, joined and rolled. Thats how it was done a decade ago when I was trucking over the road. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that they've figured out how to continuously process the stuff now, no more cutting and joining labor.

John
Old 15th June 2008, 03:30 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Wet on right, dry on left

Open-celled texture

Water squeezing out.

Brendan

Hide this!Advertise here!