Speaker connectors for use with external crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
any recommendations on a connector for a 3-way which will utilize a external crossover? I'm probably going to house the crossover in the stand for now by placing the connector on the bottom of the speaker, but will also cut a canal for the wires to be routed out through the back in case the crossover was in my rack. Any reason why a barrier strip wouldn't be a good choice here?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
luvdunhill said:
Any reason why a barrier strip wouldn't be a good choice here?
Not really. But only you knows your abilities to keep wires from shorting and getting mis-identified and cluttered. I like the Euro terminal block style for bare wires and protecting from bare screw heads (but not so convenient to hang an alligator clip on). I think you should just make things easy on yourself regarding access and simplicity (and appearance) and make things tidy and sturdy after you're done experimenting.

Apex Jr has some light duty dual banana posts for $1 that might be a temp solution (and he also has Euro terminal blocks cheap). Nothing wrong with screw-on wire nuts either (except they wear out the wire strands after too many re-connections).

On my 2 way speakers I use 4 pole Speakons, they are very good and relatively cheap. The only downside is they stick out a long way. they need a cup or an angled mount if you wish to put the backs of your speakers close to the wall.

You could use one of those + a set of banana plugs for the remaining driver.

If you want a single connector perhaps a 6 pin XLR.

Toa PA Speaker

luvdunhill said:
any recommendations on a connector for a 3-way...
...routed out through the back in case the crossover was in my rack. Any reason why a barrier strip wouldn't be a good choice here?

Why not?... with a good legend/speaker marks to prevent wrong doings.

Attachments

• toa fb120.jpg
    toa fb120.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 136
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.