JBL 2482 phenolics OR horn loaded cone driver for low-mids? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2008, 11:15 PM   #11
pkm is offline pkm  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

http://www.volvotreter.de/
Click the image to open in full size.

The conical could easily have strong panel /mouth reflections in top of band-
3.4m wavelength 100hz, up to 0.34m at 1khz

Perhaps
- last 1/3 of flare,double included angle 'eases' the pattern flip a little.
id be tempted to squeeze the vertical to achieve a more CD response horizontally

DIY Axially symmetric oblate spheroid CD waveguides, in solid Oak
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...d.php?p=196422

http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/...xp%20Horns.pdf
Old 26th March 2008, 06:48 AM   #12
pk is online now pk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnetar
The 2123 is warmer, and more 'romantic' sounding in the lower range. It also will keep up well with the rest of the system. The 2482 will cover a much wider range though and would be superb mated with the B&C treble. - hmmmmm Those straight bass horns to me are a dilemma. I always used folded horns for the low bass and kept them separated Yours probably sound better in the bass but appear to be difficult to mate with the rest of the system. Looking at it I think I would place the low mid horn up high tilted down and cross over around 150 cycles using a 10 , below it a large format compression driver around 600-800 cycles then to the little B&C. The upper mid and treble horns would go between the bass horns and the mid bass horns.
Hi Magnetar,

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I think my bass horns do sound very good indeed. I never had such punch with direct radiators. I just think that they - probably because of the length of the horns - do not sound as open as I would like above, say, 150-200 Hz or so. If I go for the cone low-mid, then your suggestion sounds very good indeed!

Kind regards
Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!