3D Spiral Horns Anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For example, quick sketch:

with 3/4" wood, the height would be 15", 12.5" deep and 9" wide.

The 2" deep block around the port shortens the overall line length from 33" to 31".

Oddly enough, if you vary the height, the width changes on this layout, so you can have thin and tall or wider baffle and a bit stumpy.

Not that I've been musing this for a while...

Attachments

• 31-folded.jpg
    31-folded.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,296
Thanks Colin,
I've settled on these:

The final version I am having built, by the kindness of Woddturner-Fran (as the name suggests he's a dab hand & just finished some Fonkens), is this one: http://spiralspeaker.web.fc2.com/aaaspeaker/extra/engag180z/eng-ag180z.html

These cabinets are originally for the Fostex FE126E drivers & I'm wondering what, if any, changes to dimensions should be made?

Any comments/changes appreciated before wood is cut,etc?

Fair enough but I'd have thought the drivers were different enough to require a number of changes to the cabinet (line length, line cross section etc). If you go ahead, it may be worth fitting a removable sub baffle so you can substitute drivers if it doesn't work out with the Jordans. Not a cheap or easy build for an experiment.

Having said all that - if you go ahead, do report on the results!

BTW, may be worth posting a link to this on the fullrange section to get more feedback.

Colin,
Took your advice and have a removable baffle - inital reports are that there is plenty of bass from this diminutive speaker with a slight tunnel sound to the midrange which can be fixed with stuffing, I hope.

I will be picking these up next week to mount both Jordan drivers & have a good listen & some tuning - currently, they are with WoodturnerFran who kindly built them for me!

These speakers had their first audition tonight in WoodturnerFran's house - they sound very good & the bass output is amazing for this size cabinet - you can feel the air being pushed out of the forward firing ports if you put your hand near it.

No sign of the tunnelled mid-range that FRan experienced earlier.

They sounded v good driven by push-pull tube amp, SET amp, DNM amp & digital amp with all sorts of music.

These of course, are initial reactions which long term listening may modify but all 4 of us there felt that they were pretty exemplary!

Fran took photos during the build & I'll post here if anyone is interested?

Thanks All,
Colin, it's Fran who did the build - all credit to him - I wouldn't have attempted this without the equipment - that's why when he kindly offered to build me some speaker cabintes I decided why not get something I couldn't attempt!

As an aside, a guy who has Dynaudio contour 1.3 MK II speakers and was looking to upgrade to 1.4, took them home last night to audition & he rang me this morning to say they are as good as they have everything the 1.3's have with added clarity!

ANyway, more impressions will be posted in time - here are some pics for you visually orientated people

First off the cabinets glued & screwed without JX92S drivers installed - a1 foot rule in the pic gives an idea of size of these diminutive cabinets

I will post some more later today - have to run now

Attachments

• jordan  spiral horns 013.jpg
    jordan spiral horns 013.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 772
It seems to me that wavelength and diffraction will play a large part here - the wavelength of say, a 250hz sound wave is something on the order of about a metre, so by comparison, any gap within the cabinet is going to look small, causing quite a lot of diffraction, which should cause the wave to propagate quite evenly - short answer is that it would probably take both paths, although it is certainly a simplification to expect a sound wave to travel in a spiral in this arrangement.

Of course, I might be mis-remembering my physics, and fully expect to be corrected by a frustrated teacher within minutes!

EDIT: grammar corrections

Hey guys,
I don't know the physics of it or indeed the acoustics involved, I'm just reporting on the build & results. See my first post on the thread for the website the design came from and his move from a genuine 3D spiral to this design which he calls an angular spiral.

I will try to get WoodturnerFran, the builder, to post here about some aspects of the inners!

Hi all,

yes, I embarked on this project with john - I decided to do some fonkens and Jkeny turned japanese.

Eh, well what can I say, don't want to offend anyone, but lets say I picked the losing side - and not by a small amount! As a result of hearing them last night, I am going to abandon the fonkens and build another of these designs. I've written to the designer to ask which of the designs he thinks would be best suited to the FE127E I have.

So if you saw the link above you will see the various pics of the build. Is it hard to do? Well I didn't really think so - in fact because they're quite small they were easy for a fella on his own to do. Just follow the plans carefully and dry assemble first to make sure all the internal bits line up OK. Its very economical to build - I only used about 1/3 of a sheet of ply along with some scraps that I had from other stuff. You'd cut, assemble and glue in an afternoon given a table saw, router table, drill press etc.

They are very rigid and heavy when assembled. I rebated the jordan drivers which should help to seal them well and give a neat look. We tried them last night from a variety of amps and material and they held up very well. No sign of that hard glassiness when the passages get complex eg rock. Very smooth all the way up and the bass is very very good. No crossover or BSC was used, nor did we add any stuffing to the cabinet. I did try these with the FE127 - only quickly one night - and I got the same bass response but there was that kind of "tunnelly" sound that jkeny mentioned above. Thats something though that a bit of stuffing might really help with.

So is it a worthwhile build? Well if you are looking for some standmounts with good sound, hell yeah!

Anyone want to trade some jordans for some eNabled FE127E from planet 10?!?

Fran

Thanks Fran, it's really a beautiful build - my only dilemma is what finish colour to go for - I initially liked the idea of gloss black but I also like the contrast of the black surrond of the drivers on the existing front baffle!

Here's a photo -any advice - a choice between black or cream or a combination?

Attachments

• p1000032.jpg
    p1000032.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 664
Any suggestions on a colour scheme for these speakers?

I was thinking of almost a piano black all over butI feel the drivers would dissappear into the black background and I quiet like the modern look of the drivers and would like to emphasise them in a tasteful way

The speaker stands are black solid cast iron candle stands (very heavy although they don't look it)so they have a kind of rustic look!

Any thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.