3D Spiral Horns Anyone? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2008, 05:40 PM   #21
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For example, quick sketch:

with 3/4" wood, the height would be 15", 12.5" deep and 9" wide.

The 2" deep block around the port shortens the overall line length from 33" to 31".

Oddly enough, if you vary the height, the width changes on this layout, so you can have thin and tall or wider baffle and a bit stumpy.

Not that I've been musing this for a while...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31-folded.jpg (22.2 KB, 1218 views)
Old 7th April 2008, 05:46 PM   #22
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Thanks Colin,
I've settled on these:

The final version I am having built, by the kindness of Woddturner-Fran (as the name suggests he's a dab hand & just finished some Fonkens), is this one: http://spiralspeaker.web.fc2.com/aaa...ng-ag180z.html

These cabinets are originally for the Fostex FE126E drivers & I'm wondering what, if any, changes to dimensions should be made?

Any comments/changes appreciated before wood is cut,etc?
Old 7th April 2008, 05:52 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Fair enough but I'd have thought the drivers were different enough to require a number of changes to the cabinet (line length, line cross section etc). If you go ahead, it may be worth fitting a removable sub baffle so you can substitute drivers if it doesn't work out with the Jordans. Not a cheap or easy build for an experiment.

Having said all that - if you go ahead, do report on the results!

BTW, may be worth posting a link to this on the fullrange section to get more feedback.
Old 11th April 2008, 09:48 AM   #24
Banned

Colin,
Took your advice and have a removable baffle - inital reports are that there is plenty of bass from this diminutive speaker with a slight tunnel sound to the midrange which can be fixed with stuffing, I hope.

I will be picking these up next week to mount both Jordan drivers & have a good listen & some tuning - currently, they are with WoodturnerFran who kindly built them for me!
Old 18th April 2008, 12:51 AM   #25
Banned

These speakers had their first audition tonight in WoodturnerFran's house - they sound very good & the bass output is amazing for this size cabinet - you can feel the air being pushed out of the forward firing ports if you put your hand near it.

No sign of the tunnelled mid-range that FRan experienced earlier.

They sounded v good driven by push-pull tube amp, SET amp, DNM amp & digital amp with all sorts of music.

These of course, are initial reactions which long term listening may modify but all 4 of us there felt that they were pretty exemplary!

Fran took photos during the build & I'll post here if anyone is interested?
Old 18th April 2008, 01:47 AM   #26
GDJ is offline GDJ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Photo's

Yeah, pics are always good.
Old 18th April 2008, 04:30 AM   #27
Aengus is offline Aengus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yeah, pics are always good.
Second.
Old 18th April 2008, 07:22 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

What a silly question - of course we're interested! Well done for an innovative build.
Old 18th April 2008, 10:00 AM   #29
Banned

Thanks All,
Colin, it's Fran who did the build - all credit to him - I wouldn't have attempted this without the equipment - that's why when he kindly offered to build me some speaker cabintes I decided why not get something I couldn't attempt!

As an aside, a guy who has Dynaudio contour 1.3 MK II speakers and was looking to upgrade to 1.4, took them home last night to audition & he rang me this morning to say they are as good as they have everything the 1.3's have with added clarity!

ANyway, more impressions will be posted in time - here are some pics for you visually orientated people

First off the cabinets glued & screwed without JX92S drivers installed - a1 foot rule in the pic gives an idea of size of these diminutive cabinets

I will post some more later today - have to run now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordan spiral horns 013.jpg (23.6 KB, 703 views)
Old 18th April 2008, 10:04 AM   #30
Banned

I posted some of the images here: http://www.4shared.com/dir/6616273/6...ral_Horns.html

Hide this!Advertise here!