Improving off-axis response of a 15"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Am thinking about ways to make a single 15" cab viable for bass guitar use without losing all the clarity in the mids and lower treble off-axis. Options for improving this response see to be some kind of whizzer cone attached to the dustcap or some kind of waveguide/dispersion thingummy mounted in front of the driver. Any suggestions for DIY approaches worth trying?

Alex

well you can make your own dispersion device to go infront of the driver. None the less, a 15" woofer is never going to have good dispersion off axis. A lot of guys who like 15's will mix them with 4-10's and/or a tweeter. You might find that adding a single horn tweeter crossed over at 3-4khz to be a nice way to keep from losing that clarity you want.

Either accept it the way it is, as dispersion is determined in large part by the driver size and cone shape, or bite the bullet and add another driver above it. Lots of good possibilities for that incl 6, 8 and 10" drivers. A 4x10 above a 15 is a WOFTAM.

Go to Talkbass, Amps forum and search thread titles under "Boutique". Go to Pt 2 and use Greenboy's design near the end of the thread.

I'm already building myself a 2-way cab with 15" woofer and 6.5" mid (greenboy and I have been cross-pollinating bass cab ideas for a couple of years) but I was hoping to make a cheaper and even lighter cab available using the Kappalite 3015 as that goes high enough on-axis to work ok without a midrange speaker. I totally agree that a 15" isn't ideal for the mids but I'm just wondering if one can at least make it work better!

Alex

A waveguide (or diffusser) like this might help a little.

Attachments

• gs-1-h.jpg
    gs-1-h.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 521
alexclaber said:
Am thinking about ways to make a single 15" cab viable for bass guitar use without losing all the clarity in the mids and lower treble off-axis. Options for improving this response see to be some kind of whizzer cone attached to the dustcap or some kind of waveguide/dispersion thingummy mounted in front of the driver. Any suggestions for DIY approaches worth trying?

Alex

There is one simple Method: Let it radiate through a slit.
But: This will cause at least one resonance in the midrange,
because the air volume locked up between cone and slit forms
a helmholtz resonator with the slit ...
1. Way keep this volume small.
2. Way damp the resonator by resistive holes beneath the slit.

Try: Combining both.

3. Build a classical acoustic lense.

Just Ideas. But on axis response will loose the highs anyway.
Because high freq. energy is too low and now will be dispersed in
a wider angle. You will have to equalize that ...

Do you want HiFi or is this for different purpose ???

kallis said:
hawthorne silver iris IS a pro coax smartass.
http://usspeaker.com/BETA15CX-1.htm

Hey, I wouldn't really consider that thing to be a 'pro' coax either. I mean, just because Eminence manufactured the drivers doesn't imply that it's entirely suitable for the level of abuse that the majority of more expensive coaxials from larger vendors can endure. Light personal use in an OB for guitar? Maybe. Insanely loud slappin' bass guitar? ..Wouldn't be smart. After all, it was 'designed' by some guys as a cheapo coax to throw on a baffle for 2 to 3 watts of music from that Spud amp kit. What was the reason for posting the US Speaker link to the 15CXA? Were you trying to say these drivers are the same? I guess I just really don't understand your logic..

Profile For kallis
Date Registered: 09-21-2007
Total Posts: 1 (0.01 posts per day)
Last Post: 03-28-2008 11:12 PM
Improving off-axis response of a 15"

Great first post. :rolleyes:

it is the same driver.
same size coil, magnet, xmax. and eminence only makes one 15". they will definitly not make a new one for hawthorne.
hawthorne thus have boosted Qts etc. for better bass in OB.
the 150-250watt difference was a small improvment made early this year. hawthorne may be using the old coil, but possibly not.

in order to play good enough midrange surround must be stiff with a short xmax. sure u can destroy it. but still a pro coax :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.