My DIY project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm going to build my own loudspeaker. A combination I've seen that I like very much is the Visaton Vox 252MTI combination.
http://www.visaton.com/english/artikel/art_746.htm
With the MHT 12 tweeter, TI 100 mid and TIW 250 bass
The cost would be 1000€ on drivers only what's quite reasonable.

The enclosure would be the tweeter and the two mids in a separate box and then the woofer also separate in an 80-100L box ( with good bracing) to get a little more bass extension. And external crossover.
http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Andromeda.html : this idea inspired me.
Like this I also will be more easy to place the speakers.
Finishing the enclosure won't be much of a problem since a friend is a "furniture-maker".

Surely I will make the crossovers with mundorf or audyn caps where in series and good quality inductors.
What do you guys think on components choice: price/quality ratio, etc?
The purpose would be a good allround speaker for all sorts of music and that has the ability to rattle windows.
Greets, Stimpies

Hey, Stimpies. I see you're also from Leuven.

Do you know where I can buy veneer in Belgium? I've been looking around in hardware/wood stores , but they don't have much choice. They only have thick veneers and the pieces are very to small. I'm looking for big sheets of thin veneer, that's easy to apply.

As for the veneer, I don't know. In the weekends I live in Turnhout. I'll ask a friend of mine there. I'm sure he'll know where you can find thin veneer as he's a designer. I'll let you know something.
As for Visaton, I think I'll give it a try.
Their TIW woofers look very good to me: Especially the TIW250, BI:12TM, Mms:45g, fs:30hz
http://www.visaton.com/english/artikel/art_404.htm
Also the TI10 and the MHT12 seem very much ok.
http://www.visaton.com/english/artikel/art_604.htm
However first I will consider scan-peak too.
Greets, Stimpies

No, sorry, no news on the veneer yet. I haven't found a good distrubutor yet. It seems it isn't that easy a I thought :(
My plans have changed I think. I will no longer go for the Visaton Vox 252MTI speakers, but have chosen for the Andromeda design
http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Andromeda.html
Only I'll put Visaton Tiw360 woofers instead of the focal's, that are too expensive to me.
I guess this is a very good design.
Also I have found some massive oak wook from old >50y tables in a school. I can get this for free. This wood is already very dry so it won't change shape anymore. So I can make the top speaker from this wood.
Ps: Are the prices of Diy paradisio good compared to eg speakerland.com and do they have a website?
Greetings,
Stimpies

stimpies said:
No, sorry, no news on the veneer yet. I haven't found a good distrubutor yet. It seems it isn't that easy a I thought :(

No, that's my experience to...

My plans have changed I think. I will no longer go for the Visaton Vox 252MTI speakers, but have chosen for the Andromeda design
http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Andromeda.html
Only I'll put Visaton Tiw360 woofers instead of the focal's, that are too expensive to me.

Why not go for Peerless woofers. They give better quality for a lower price. The HDS range is very good for bass.

Ps: Are the prices of Diy paradisio good compared to eg speakerland.com and do they have a website?

Yes, it's a one-man bussiness, and his prices are better than speakerland. website: http://www.diyparadiso.com
It's a bit of a strange store, but the guy knows his stuff.

Yes, about the peerless, couldn't I use 2 HDS 205 woofers from peerless instead of one TIW360 from Visaton?
In WinISD it looks the same (group delay, freq resp, phase plot), but two HDS205 have a bigger surface, are faster and should be able to produce more output. And,... are CHEAPER.
What do you think?
Greets

stimpies said:
Yes, about the peerless, couldn't I use 2 HDS 205 woofers from peerless instead of one TIW360 from Visaton?
In WinISD it looks the same (group delay, freq resp, phase plot), but two HDS205 have a bigger surface, are faster and should be able to produce more output. And,... are CHEAPER.
What do you think?
Greets

Wauw, you most really be a bas-lover :)

I build a speaker that uses 2 hds182's and it has great bass.
Is that visaton driver that big? Is it a subwoofer driver?

If you want really deep bass, you could go for the Peerless CSX range or the XLS. But you will have to bi-amp those speakers, or make an active woofer.

I think 2 hds205's will be overkill

Now I've got TIW350's woofer in JBL L65(little brother of the L300) (with 2405 slot tweeter, LE5-5 mid, audyn caps, better inductors, zobels), and I must say these produce very tight bass.
The Visaton has 450cm2 surface and the 2Peerless 480cm2, however, I will have to attenuate them, wat's not that easy I guess, but I know a guy, that has build a few scan-peaks who will help me.
In fact I like speakers that sound very good at low levels and that can go quite loud (we have a big living room at home and have a free standing house ;) )
I'm just trying to build a speaker like the andromeda, only there the focal bass unit (Audiom 13WX) is ridicously expensive.
So I'm still not sure: 1 Visaton Tiw 360, 2 peerless HDS205, or a german unit (<diyparadiso) that should be a copy of the focal audiom but only cheaper. (will get info on this one later).
The -3db point should be around 30 hz with both the visaton and the peerless in a 90L cabinet.
For more bass extension I can always add a subwoofer later, but I guess I'll be happy with 30hz. :).
Now these speakers should outperform my (30y old) Jbl L65. (can't be that hard I think). For example how could a 30y old alnico compression driver (2405/077/2405h) compare to newer tweeters.
Greetings,
Stimpies

Veneer & Scan-Speak

Hi guys, a little late but I found your threads only recently.
Veneer is a pain in the *** in Belgium, but at least Leroy-Merlin, the french equal to our Brico, has real wood veneer, in differents essences and size (up to 50cm).
Maybe they don't have it on stock, but ask them they can order it.
There are a few in Brussels, I don't know about Leuven.

Drivers: if you need Scan-Speak drivers (my favorites!), you can buy them from Benny Glass from Aquablue in Antwerp or from Euphonie, the french distributor of Vifa/ Scan-Speak in Roncq, close to Kortrijk (www.euphonie-france.com).

Rgds,
Dan

Hi Stimpies,
there are at least two salesman on Ebay selling Visaton-chassis.
Their price is quite reasonable but haven´t researched much so far. I got in contact with one of them and he´s about to send me the price lists.

Have a look here.
That´s the seller I mean.
Just drop him a mail about prices or take a look here.

Cheers
Jens

Stimpies,

If you go with a design, then change the drivers, you are virtually defeating the purpose of following that design! Change the drivers and you have to change the crossover, and to do this you must have the ability to design it in the first place! You might be better advised to choose a kit or follow a design. Find one with drivers you like.

You may find an MTM and add a biamped woofer of you choice. Or do the same with a bookshelf. This could give you a result like the Andromeda on a budget.

A nice project would be an MTM with Peerless CSX 6.5" midbass drivers and the Seas 27TFF tweeter with a biamped woofer like the 10" CSX or if you want more bass the 12" XLS in a sealed alignment. I know someone who is using these drivers (minus the woofer) which are all very good value drivers. He has had the crossover designed for him and I have a copy of the xo schematic. This would give you the type of cabinet in the visation design that you linked.

You won't get the same look with the drivers however. Tangband have a 4" fullrange aluminium driver that is well regarded that could be used and it is very cheap. I don't know how it compares to Vifa, Seas and Peerless drivers however.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.