EnABL - Technical discussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So what are you contributing other than being a **** stirrer? Go watch some car wrecks if that's your interest in being here. This is supposed to be the technical discussion thread but since Bud and Terryo have ignored my requests to show us proof or even one speaker manufacturer that uses Enabl, it's just more subjective drivel from those two. No surprise really since the post count has now risen to 1360 and they are grasping at straws to try to show something relevant.

...and you have contributed...what?

It is contingent upon those making the claim to provide some actual evidence, not upon those who question it to disprove it. After five years there is a dearth of reliable technical evidence, even though it would be easily enough done with commonly available and cheap equipment. As this has not happened, I can only conclude that it is the audio equivalent of a power balance bracelet, with the holograms replaced with idiotic little dots. The same sense of belief in the produce in the face of any reliable, verifiable and repeatable evidence seems to pervade both products, with the exception that power balance actually came clean about their product's lack of ability to provide performance improvement.

Do any of the enable proponents have a guess as to what could measurably explain the sound difference heard by people? If so, what is it? I've thought it may be CSD. It's my best guess based on what I've heard between enabled and non-enabled.

If it's not something that can be measured, well then that would be good to know also. I've heard a couple of the proponents say, it's just not measurable, I have no explanation. I can respect that.

BTW, would still be interested in trying to find a measurement that shows something. I need a reason to buy sound easy ;)

Hi,

A lot more reasoned arguments that people like you who can't
work out why the threads were split in the first place. Whilst
technical types have desisted from criticising some of the
utter garbage in the subjective thread, it seems that the
subjective types can't help posting the same tired old guff
is this thread without an ounce of comphrehension of the
difference between an objective and subjective argument.

rgds, sreten.

Do any of the enable proponents have a guess as to what could measurably explain the sound difference heard by people? If so, what is it? I've thought it may be CSD. It's my best guess based on what I've heard between enabled and non-enabled.

If it's not something that can be measured, well then that would be good to know also. I've heard a couple of the proponents say, it's just not measurable, I have no explanation. I can respect that.

BTW, would still be interested in trying to find a measurement that shows something. I need a reason to buy sound easy ;)

I certainly wish you luck, as it would be nice to have an answer to this.
That's been the difficulty that I've had with the ENABL treatment from the very beginning. Being very much a measurement guy (as most people here know), I've had a real problem with this. The problem is that I actually hear a difference (as does almost everyone that actually hears an enabl'd driver) and yet haven't seen any measured differences. I finally concluded that we're not measuring the right thing, or perhaps the right way. To the complete surprise of some people (even here!), there are things that are still not known or understood.

Best Regards,
Terry

Hi,

God the same old tired guff. Technically no-one is claiming it does not
make a "difference" audibly. They are claiming any other pattern of
dots or whatever would likely make a similar difference as there is
nothing about EnABL that indicates it is remotely optimally effective,
or even effective compared to other more sensible options, which
are measurable and hence repeatable, hence confirmable.

Will you stop repeating the same tired garbage about EnABL.
Don't pull the "I'm a measurement guy" stunt and then
immediately disprove it, you are nothing of the sort,
its just a cheap weak argument fooling no-one.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Hi,

God the same old tired guff. Technically no-one is claiming it does not

Will you stop repeating the same tired garbage about EnABL.
Don't pull the "I'm a measurement guy" stunt and then
immediately disprove it, you are nothing of the sort,
its just a cheap weak argument fooling no-one.

rgds, sreten.

Whatever...

I certainly wish you luck, as it would be nice to have an answer to this.
That's been the difficulty that I've had with the ENABL treatment from the very beginning. Being very much a measurement guy (as most people here know), I've had a real problem with this. The problem is that I actually hear a difference (as does almost everyone that actually hears an enabl'd driver) and yet haven't seen any measured differences. I finally concluded that we're not measuring the right thing, or perhaps the right way. To the complete surprise of some people (even here!), there are things that are still not known or understood.

Best Regards,
Terry
I really have no desire to stay in this, but I will say that there _have_ been measurements made, just not to the liking of proponents. If someone mods a driver and measures no change, either it's insignificant or their measurement skills need improvement or their measurement system is not working. Perfectly adequate and free software (HOLM Acoustics) is available to name just one example.

There is nothing not known or understood. What's frustrating is claims made that no change in measurements have been shown. Many here may not have gone far enough back to the posts of measurements with comments to this effect when in fact it was strikingly obvious that there were changes in the posted measurements. The results looked no better than the pre-mod measurements, just a different set of resonances were apparent.

It's as John has pointed out numerous times. How about a link going back to 2008 in response to the same type of statement WRT measurements?

March 2008

This thread keeps coming full circle. It's simply becoming nothing but a re-hash. But if anyone cares to debate the perceived response, go ahead, just do it on the subjective thread.

I was doing my own mods on drivers at that time and fully documented them here. It's pretty clear that just about anything one can do to a driver will change the measured response. As John said, how one characterizes that change is irrelevant to this discussion.

Dave

Technically no-one is claiming it does not

Bravo sreten, I knew you had it in you! Seriously!

Ok anti fan boys, here's the deal. sreten has it exactly correct. There have to be better ways to accomplish what these idiot spots are accomplishing. Soongsc has already found one and it is patented.

Here is his work.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/100399-enabl-processes-26.html#post1227789 multiple rings pahse vs frequency response

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/100399-enabl-processes-28.html#post1231568 dispersal of "break up modes" and resonance nods

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/100399-enabl-processes-226.html#post1427403 large blocks and dots applied

We have progressed to being able to find the exact locations to apply the spots to. Empirical as it still is, since we do not have the pleasure of scientific exactitude, it is still extremely effective. As alluded to, it is called the "tap test".

So, instead of continually sniping I suspect that you smart lads can actually do a better job than I ever will and actually make this a rigorous tool rather than the useful but somewhat nebulous argument starter that it is currently. Mige0 has shown that we can look at what EnABL does. I suspect it can be useful in your investigations to surpass my application. Certainly Soongsc didn't need wavelet analysis, just a very rigorous test regimen, to come up with his improvements. The field is open. You too can be a hero with your own anti fan base...

Bud

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do any of the enable proponents have a guess as to what could measurably explain the sound difference heard by people?

I believe that to measure what is happening, you willhave to look 30-50 dB down from the primary signal, which will require a good anechoic chamber and something like this (the same kit Geddes said was needed to see the HOMs he talks about). Microflown

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What about a (double) blind test?

A double blind test that is sufficiently stringent to be published is both costly & time connsumming. Single or (close to) double blind* informal tests have been done, and have produced results in favour of EnABL.

*Self admisistered blind tests (the people who set it up, not around). Also tests with blind people.

dave

A double blind test that is sufficiently stringent to be published is both costly & time connsumming. Single or (close to) double blind* informal tests have been done, and have produced results in favour of EnABL.

*Self admisistered blind tests (the people who set it up, not around). Also tests with blind people.

dave

More costly and time consuming than this endless drivel?

We have progressed to being able to find the exact locations to apply the spots to. Empirical as it still is, since we do not have the pleasure of scientific exactitude, it is still extremely effective. As alluded to, it is called the "tap test".
I'm continually amazed by your ability to make statements within which are complete contradictions that make it a non sequitur.

Either you can do it or you can't.

What one hears as a difference is a measurable difference and has been demonstrated. There is no need to dig 30-50 db down. It's just another example of ignoring what's been demonstrated in the (distant) past. The problem arises with making unproven hypotheses as to the change that occurs, as demonstrated in those old links.

Dave

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.