Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2008, 12:11 PM   #21
dlr is offline dlr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: SPC

Quote:
Originally posted by BudP

What in the world you would do with something that scarily realistic sounding, escapes me just now, but then, I am one of the feeble minded ones.

Bud
So this is how you intend to post on the technical side? "Scarily realistic". How did you measure that?

Quote:
Originally posted by auplater

Try it! It works....

John L.
Yep. This thread is rapidly turning into nothing more than EnaBL cheerleading, with the exception of ron's and soong's posts. I had thought it would take more than a day to derail it.

Dave
Old 19th March 2008, 12:21 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default commercialization

well... I could very easily envision a conical "sieve" metal funnel, shaped to fit the given driver with precision etched, stamped, electroformed, machined, or otherwise produced slots, rings, holes, or whatever might be determined through careful engineering evaluation to be an effective enhancement to a cone surface for either applying a pattern of added material or otherwise modifying the cone. There could even be a vacuum manifold setup for post processing existing cones to deform, in a controlled fashion, pulp or other material cones and add dimples or raised sections, rather than adding mass, to determine if it's the geometry alone that causes the perceived effect.

All sorts of methods could work, but until valid peer reviewed work is performed and accepted, I wouldn't want to base my p/l statement on any significant investment in the tweak.

John L.
Old 19th March 2008, 01:09 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by auplater - Post #19

Putting the cart b4 the horse here, technically speaking... as there has been no confirmed valid analysis as to whether this even works...

maybe you can convince Floyd Toole though...

John L.

It's only a matter of time...

Cheers,

Alex
Old 19th March 2008, 10:59 PM   #24
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

auplater,

There is one set of restrike cones being made. They will allow the patterns, on front and back of the cone, to be raised as an embossed artifact with an 0.003 max height. No paint is to be applied intially so we can build and test a couple of cones, just to hear if they are providing the subjective differences that paint only blocks provide. At that point decisions will be made about further processing.

This is a back burner project for those who are doing the work so no firm time line. If it all occurs within ronc's test window then he will get a set to look at. If the paint needs to be applied I am told that simple tamp printing will suffice.

Sreten,

I put those babbles there just for your benefit. Now, if you had found this driver process out for yourself, just what words would you have used and how would you have conveyed the link between objective tests and subjective responses? dlr has pointed out just how complex an undertaking this is going to be. Since this is a group effort, on both sides of the results that the neutral and innocent patterns bring about, we might over time, actually accomplish this work. Since you have some pretty stiff standards for verbal presentation, perhaps you could begin to share your thoughts and see if we can mold my babble into the language format you prefer.

Bud
Old 19th March 2008, 11:09 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

ronc,

Would you use another ten words please and describe what is variable over the cone? No question that the patterns vary in size and mass and the various coating materials also have a range of application rate, just as the paper will have a range of absorption. Would a set of metal cone drivers help you out?

Bud
Old 20th March 2008, 12:37 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

musgofasa,

None of the actual paint application folks can do any better than sort of controlled. I will say that the thousand year old, or so, design that is our current calligraphy pen is pretty good at even flow rate. Fortunately, for the non test driven crowd EnABL is like horse shoes and close is actually good enough. How much better tight tolerances would make the audible effects is just guesswork at the moment.

Now, there were a couple of individuals that used thin acrylic tapes for the patterns, Cilla (PDAN) was one of these and she applied the patterns to a Lowther driver, as a mono source no less. Her subjective comments are on the original thread. Her method does provide at least a control over material density and maybe a closer control over size variations. She said she was entirely satisfied with the results.

Bud
Old 20th March 2008, 01:55 AM   #27
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Default From post 2970 of the "Processes" thread

Quote:
If the wave propagation across the cone encounters an impedance mis-match, is distortion created which is above/beyond (some of) the signal emitted from the cone?...

Does this distortion mask or obscure content within the intended signal?...Is it possible that an EnABL band (set of blocks) presents a different impedance match for the wave propagation?

...and that the distortion created by the EnABL band is different from that created by the junction of the cone to surround?...

Further, could that distortion produced by the EnABL band be of a lesser magnitude than that produced by the cone to surround junction?

Bear with me here...Could the wave propagation across the EnABL band result in a lower energy density outside the band, the result of which would be a lower magnitude of distortion produced by the same wave when it encounters the junction of the cone and surround?
Old 20th March 2008, 07:35 AM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Here are the waterfall blink comparisons that John K did and has given permission to post (note: i cleaned up the images and got them lined up). This is only the clean vrs fully EnABLed

http://planet10-hifi.com/johnK-test/

dave
Old 20th March 2008, 11:53 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default CSD's

Here's a typical CSD for RD-75 planars (from Audio-X-Press Magazine)
Click the image to open in full size.
This seems to show ringing artifacts down >30 dB within ~1.2 msec or so, and alot less "hash" than any of the CSD's I've seen for EnABL's drivers.

One wonders what a direct comparison of sound from an EnABL'd (or not) driver with the presented CSD from Dave above would sound like vs. the RD-75.

One of the main problems in these data presentations is no detail regarding error bars and such so that one can evaluate both the qualitative and quantitative issues involved.

John L.
Old 20th March 2008, 02:04 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Could someone point me to a post about the results of a double blind test on this "EnABL" stuff?

Measured differences?

I just read through a bunch of pages of posts but hadn't found such information yet

Hide this!Advertise here!