EnABL - Listening impressions & techniques - Page 98 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2012, 12:00 PM   #971
ncdrawl is offline ncdrawl  United States
diyAudio Member

id like to get an applicator kit...or a list of materials please!
Old 18th November 2012, 04:28 PM   #972
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

ncdrawl,

You have a response to your pm. The list of materials is in the opening post of my thread listed below in my sig.
Old 18th November 2012, 08:48 PM   #973
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

ncdrawl

I have attached a text file with all of the pertinent EnABL threads. Note that there are two posts with step by step instructions for applying EnABL 1.0. To move on to 2.0 you will have to read the last few hundred posts in the "listening and instruction" thread as that extended format is still under going investigation. The basics are there but not the subtle stuff. I will be showing up shortly with a treatment for a Lowther and Eminence driver combination that will push that gen 2.0 rope a bit further.

I did attempt to email you but the email was rejected as undeliverable.

Bud
Attached Files
File Type: txt EnABL posts for treatment text file.txt (6.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 19th November 2012, 01:59 AM   #974
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Erm.. Buy some Letraline tape
Letraset - Product Information : Letraline Tapes
Many configurations available .. apply it as you wish. Major advantage is that it's removable.. if it fails to impress.
Entire sections in Aero theory/technology foucus on boundary layer effects and resonance.
You don't actually believe that a bunch of old guys dicking around in their basements on recycled tv speakers have discovered perpetual motion. ? :-)
Old 19th November 2012, 03:37 AM   #975
ncdrawl is offline ncdrawl  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudP View Post
ncdrawl

I have attached a text file with all of the pertinent EnABL threads. Note that there are two posts with step by step instructions for applying EnABL 1.0. To move on to 2.0 you will have to read the last few hundred posts in the "listening and instruction" thread as that extended format is still under going investigation. The basics are there but not the subtle stuff. I will be showing up shortly with a treatment for a Lowther and Eminence driver combination that will push that gen 2.0 rope a bit further.

I did attempt to email you but the email was rejected as undeliverable.

Bud
thank you sir. my email is teddyraybullard@gmail.com
Old 19th November 2012, 05:36 AM   #976
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Erm.. Buy some Letraline tape
Now, if they could be convinced to provide more than one width, this would be helpful to those who are frightened of pens and paint. No less tedious however....

And I will have you know we don't hide in our basements to display our dicking around!

Bud
Old 19th November 2012, 12:29 PM   #977
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And I will have you know we don't hide in our basements to display our dicking around!
control!...refrain!...aargghh!...I could not prevent the visual...
Old 19th November 2012, 10:11 PM   #978
diyAudio Member

Well then, let's get down to it, since off topic is queening here.

Imagine a gently rounded hill crest, with POV from 50 feet away and 20 feet down. The sky is midwinter darkling, the air is frosty and there is that silence you find, just before dawn. Suddenly a skirl of early bag pipe adjusts that silence with a stark contrast and at the beginning of that biting scree, sunlight illuminates just the top edge of sparse grass, bristling from the hill. And just above that scintillation, with startlingly revealed detail, caper 12 human shapes, covered in dark blue.....and nothing else...... the very earliest instance of Modern Dance.

Bud
Old 22nd January 2013, 01:13 AM   #979
diyAudio Member

Default EnABL for Saba 8"

Hi All,

Very interesting thread/s...lots of material here, my poor head is spinning. I have saba 'greencone' 8" mids and 4" tweeters in an OB set up with eminence deltalie II 15" bass, the baffles are along the lines of Troels Gravesens OB11 project. I love the sound from my speakers...massive improvement from my previous KEF boxes...however...beaming is a major problem and I have to listen bang on axis both vertical and horizontal or I'm missing a lot (not too bad for me, no good for those 'off-axis'). I have taken the decision to EnABL mids and tweeters (and possibly bass??) ...I've sourced the micro gloss, flat acrylic paint and speedball pens A1-5 and am ready to go...but am confused here from all the info..am I doing EnABL v.1 or v.2 do I gloss before and after appling pattern or just after? treat both sides of cone or just front...sorry so many questions...I'm determined to get this right as I hope if I am successful in unlocking the potential of these drivers, particularly the 8" I will have some glorious sounds going on. Any help advice or pointing in the right direction of suitable posts would be greatly appreciated. As would comments from anyone who has wprked on these drivers. I should add I have removed the dustcaps and coated the corrugated the surrounds of the 8" with thinned bookbinders glue as per Troels suggestion on his website, don't know if this will affect how I approach EnABL'ing the drivers?? Also damped with 'duct seal' type putty around magnet and outward facing surfaces of basket with felt pads on inside faces of basket.

Cheers

Terry
Old 24th February 2013, 07:25 PM   #980
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Enable listening impressions

When I started my DIY audio journey in 2007-8, the first thing I played around with was at the outside fringe. Cables then speaker tweaks. Now after cleaning up the source and having finished my second generation of amps it is time for me to think about building some great speakers.

I thought it would be worth noting however how much great listening I got out of speakers that would be found in a thrift shop for a few $$ thanks to Enable.

I use old Boston Acoustics speakers I bought new in early 80's. After pulling them out of storage and re doing the surrounds I set about to see if I could improve the sound. I added Planet 10 tweaks like modelling clay on the metal baskets. Replaced the internal wiring with solid copper 18guage. This then lead to Enable. Man, huge improvement. Next came virtually removing the cheap crossover. Without knowing any better I ran the driver full range and just crossed the tweater with a single BG F 10u cap. It was like removing curtains from in front. Final stage was to enable the outside of the box. I believe equal gain to doing the Enable.

I am not sure when the speakers disappeared from the room. I believe it was with the Enable on the box that I last heard the speakers. Now sound just floats in a 3d space that is a bit wider than the speakers and out about 10 - 15 feet out behind the speaker plane.

With a fairly trivial amount of work and almost no investment, these thrift shop specials have been delightful. Any time I have gone to a retail stereo shop speakers and heard speakers costing $3k it seems like a big step down. The only other comparison I have is a pair of Totem bookshelf speakers that I can swap in for comparison. No comparison.

The front end of the system is fairly well behaved. A hi res digital server into a tda1541a DAC with tube output stage through lightspeed into a pair of OTL tube monos. There is not a lot of stuff in the signal path other than triodes. Interestingly I tried attenuating the tweeters with a single MIlls resistor. Easy to tell that something was in the way and it had to come out. So I think the speakers are fairly well resolved without much investment. No doubt not anywhere in the league of a well designed and implemented speaker system. But still if I compared the sound where it started, I think I'd be surprised at the sound that can be had using vintage commercial grade speakers and Enable.

Next project will be single driver full range on OB. Enabled of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1084.jpg (974.1 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by wlowes; 24th February 2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: add pic

Hide this!Advertise here!