Proac Response 2.5 - one cloner's journey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
helloo everyoane!
i just finished my 2.5 clones. they just sound great.
instead the original scanspeak 2010 tweeter i used the Usher 9950-20 tweeter to avoid the silibance that people talk about.
what can i say? no silibance, great bass, great mids...
it just sounds great.....
I used Troel Gravesen's crossover for scanspeak 9500 tweeter...but ofcourse with proper modifications to acomodate de Usher tweeter.

What to do ???

First of all, thank you Nadir and the ProAc cloners for their testing and posts on the forum.

I've been reading about everyone's experiences and I must say, I'm still a bit confused about what builders consider the Proac's main weakness. That is, the speaker's 2 Khz peak.

Nadir says he is "disappointed to hear an intolerable glare on vocals, strings and brass, accompanied by rather excessive sibilance." This blows my mind given that the 2.5 cost $4500, and for any of its properties to be intolerable is pretty insane. Simiarly, Proacs really excel when driven by tubes, but for $4500 it better sound great on any equipment! Nadir, are you judging in relative terms?

Secondly, I think the LCR filter for the 2.5 is widely approved by cloners. I recall someone asking why ProAc didn't just include an LCR filter if it made a big difference, without getting a reply. Can someone comment on this? It will give confidence to future cloners knowing that that a basic 2.5 clone will sound amazing, and by adding the LCR, it sounds even better!

Hello

Reading all this I'm not sure what to do.
After long time I decided to do again some speakers by myself (last 8-9 years I didn't have the time).
Last thing that I was planning was this one you are speaking about.
I know the project is an old one but .. I'm thinking and thinking ..

I would like to know if makes sense to built the ProAc today ??

Do you maybe have some suggestion for some other new project ?

Are the Scan-Speak 18W/8535 and Scan-Speak D2010/8513 of the same quality as in the time when this project was in his peek of popularity ?

Any help about this questions please ..

Tnx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.