hi vi measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
those M8N woofers have a nasty resonance at 2300. without a tweeter that can play very low, you'll have to add all sorts of notches and steep xover slopes.

I have two of these in the garage and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. I was hoping to mate them with some Hiquphon OWIIs but I'm not sure the 3/4" tweeter has the low end.

I'm thinking the XT25 ring might be a better choice but while it can play low, it may have distortion problems in the low 2000s.

blue934 said:
thanks augerpro, i'll definitely link that file to my favorites. there are a lot of files there. how do you like the little hivi mtm and which drivers did you use?

For my first design ever I was really happy with them. You can get more info here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=24504&highlight=bose

Originally posted by blue934 by the way what are the woofers/midwoofers in the tower in file 0025?
blue934 [/B]

I'm not really sure what you're referring to?

blue934 said:

the pic had the hivi mtm sitting on top of a tower with what looked like aluminum drivers.
blue934

Those are Onix Rockets. They use the Vifa XT25 and custom HiVi woofers. Those are my "reference" speaker that I made a mission of replacing- if I could design something good enough. I beleive I've done that with a recent project so I'm moving forward building and entire 5.1 package consisting of: L&R 3way actively crossed Dayton RS270 woofer to Peerless 832873/810921 TM; Center 3way with RS150 or RS180 woofer, 830872 mid, and 810921 or Vifa D26 tweeter; L&R Surround 2way 832873/810921 or Vifa D26; and 12" TC2K sub.

Bad_mojo said:
Augerpro,

is the dip above 10khz easy to flatten on this driver? Can it be done with baffle diffraction or is it in x-over?

Also do you measure your own drivers or do you use other people's measurements?

Mo

This isn't a fullrange so I would cross to tweeter well under the area where the cone exhibits energy storage/ breakup.

I do all my own measurements. Read here: http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q288/augerpro/READ THIS FIRST/

what do you think of the usher 9930 or 9950 mating with the M8 hivi? they look like they should cross at 1200-1500hz without to much trouble.? for that matter, what about the 810921, that should do a 1500-1800 x.?
suggestions would be great as i am planning to use the m8 for a 2 way myself.
i sure like the look of those custom hivi woofers!
blue934

Augerpro,
I am playing with "Passive Crossover Designer 5.10" and "Baffle Diff Sim" and I am getting real itchy for a 830884 based 2-way with either DX25, 27tdfc or 27tbfcg. I don't have any measuring equipment and I want to stick to free software.

Is using SplTrace on your graps or Zaph's good enough?
Is getting phase data important as with SplTrace it's all at zero?
Is speaker workshop a better software then the above?

Mo

blue934 said:
what do you think of the usher 9930 or 9950 mating with the M8 hivi? they look like they should cross at 1200-1500hz without to much trouble.? for that matter, what about the 810921, that should do a 1500-1800 x.?
suggestions would be great as i am planning to use the m8 for a 2 way myself.
i sure like the look of those custom hivi woofers!
blue934

I haven't used all the drivers I've tested in a speaker, including the M8N, so I can't say a lot about its usage. In my own opinion I'd never use the M8N in a 2 way since no tweeters are really capable enough. Although Jon Marsh did years ago with presumably decent results. I dunno...maybe with something like a Vifa DX25 in a waveguide, notch filters for the break up, steep filters and a 1k Hz crossover you could do it. There are better 8" out there to pull this off. But the HiVi sure a pretty looking in person, I'll give you that.

Then again not everyone has a golden ear. With the right tweeter, maybe a DX25 or RS28 you could cross around 1300 Hz and it may sound just fine. One nice thing about the M8N break up is so clearly defined it should be easy to notch. I do have a 9950 but haven't tested it yet so i don't know how usable it would be in thsi case.

Bad_mojo said:
Augerpro,
I am playing with "Passive Crossover Designer 5.10" and "Baffle Diff Sim" and I am getting real itchy for a 830884 based 2-way with either DX25, 27tdfc or 27tbfcg. I don't have any measuring equipment and I want to stick to free software.

Is using SplTrace on your graps or Zaph's good enough?
Is getting phase data important as with SplTrace it's all at zero?
Is speaker workshop a better software then the above?

Mo

If you clearly understand how to use the trace method I suppose you could try it. Jay Kim can probably expound on how to do this properly.

Phase is supremely important. Any modeling software will have to reconstruct it. In the long run I think it is much easier and less time consuming to just get a measurement set up and do it your self. Same goes with software. Soundeasy and the cheap version of LSPCad are better than SW, which had me pulling my hair out just calibrating the measurement set up.

blue934 said:
this is bit off topic but since you admitted to having used both SW and SE, which do prefer as far as box and crossover modeling for useability and learning curve?
blue934

Soundeasy by far.

Thawach said:

augerpro when you cross the tw around 1300 Hz.i think you will get thin image. and it has trouble with high volume. the sound is easy to be hard.

I never said it was a good idea, I just said it might be possible ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.