DIY Spkr/amp sources in Brisbane?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've just moved to Brisbane 3 wks ago to further my studies in QUT. I was wondering where could i obtain parts to do up a pair of speakers and possibly an amp. Would also appreciate sources for 2nd hand hifi.

So far wes components was highly reccomended to me for speaker drivers and crossover parts. What i would like to know is where to obtain precut mdf to glue up as loudspeaker enclosures as well as veneers.

There is a Bunnings very near where i stay, would they have suitable mdf/wood and the machinery to cut them to shape? I'm probably gonna do a pair of simple 2 way reflex. Are there better specialty shops for this kind of job?

I will also greatly appreciate all sorts of tips, advice and source for all other stuff stereo notwithstanding. Thanks in advance!

C h r i s

Mass Technologies is another supplier of ScanSpeak and Vifa drivers, but they're not in Brisbane. You could try to make a free or discounted shipping deal with them. If you're lucky, the drivers in which you're interested would be on MT's Specials list.

Bunnings would have everything that you'd need for your project, but don't trust your dimensions to them unless you know the storeperson who'd be cutting your wood has an accuracy of +/-0.0mm :)

Good luck!

Isaac

if you are at QUT, the level 9 equipment store (S block, GP campus) gives goodies out. i get most of my heatsinks, transistors and other bits there. don't overuse it though. i find they are most helpful when i tell them what i am doing, they seem to love having students do projects for themselves. have a look anyway. please don't mention my name when you go there:goodbad:

Thanks for the tip Hamish! All my lessons are in GP Campus! I also notice one of the blocks have pretty neat machinery... wonder if i could bring pieces of mdf down for cutting :p

If not i'll have to find a local tradesman who has a CNC machine... who else other than uh... large carpentry companies would have these CNC machines?

qut level 9 s block

As Hamish has mentioned, level 9 s block is the resource depot as far as diy projects go. If you're doing EE ( as I suppose you are ) then you can get boards made up too once you learn a bit of protel.

I too, disavow all knowledge of (ab)using the store.

try jaycar at the 'gabba for parts and speaker drivers. also prime electronics at bowen hills. try to only use the EE store when the austudy runs dry (as it so often does). prime stock alot of transistors that are rare as rocking-horse sh*t, and at a reasonable price (the EE store only stocks basics). and RS components at archerfield.

lots of places, you just need to dig a little.

try the record exchange for 2nd hand gear. most of it doesn't rate, but if you check often some jems slip through at very reasonable prices (but you've got to be quick).

why not try a transmission line speaker? check out planet10 (dave's) website (do a search for him, the link is on all his posts).

best of luck

Actually, im an IT student :D Protel - CNC controlling software? Neat, now which fellow QUT student is willing to help? :p

Just went down to bunnings, nope they can't do the precision cuts i need. Will have to flip thru yellow pages to find a cabinet maker...

I'm still looking around for designs, will want to use either Peerless or Vifa drivers as they provide pretty good sound for the money...

By the way, where si the EE store and Austudy? Are they both in GP Campus?

MDF

I use Mr. Ply & plywood for all of my ply & MDF requirements. They are cheaper than bunnings, cut the timber much more accurately ($1 a cut I think) & also have free or really cheap offcuts that I use whenever it is practical. There is one on south side (underwood) and one on north side somewhere (check the phonebook)

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.