crossover calculator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my four ways system I want make a passive line level crossover (pllxo) to compare with my active xo now I use. Since the frequency cut are first order 200h-1000-5000hz I have to use the normal high pass, low pass calculator or the narrow band pass filter?
From what I understand from here: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp#cc
I have to use the high and low pass calculator for woofers and tweeters and narrow band pass calculator for mid-low and mid high.
I'm correct?

hi patriz

a passive line level crossover is a filter (or a series of filters) made tipically with low-power resistors (no inductor) and capacitors. It's not a very common solution, because you have loss in the signal due to the attenuation of resistors.

the on-line calculator you suggest is for "power" crossover (placed between amplifier and the set of loudspeakers), with a low input an low output impedence. If you use it with a line level inpedence (example 10 k ohm) you'll obtain very large values of inductors and capacitors.

ps: i strongly suggest not to use the Narrow Band Pass Filters, that is non-linear in a wide range of frequencies, but a Low Pass Filters followed by an High Pass Filters

for passive LC pllxo

hi patriz
Always take into account that the chock is non ideal inductor with respect wire resistance witch make calculations very different to a normal LC passive crossover with loudspeaker for load
a passive line level crossover is a filter (or a series of filters) made tipically with low-power resistors (no inductor) and capacitors. It's not a very common solution, because you have loss in the signal due to the attenuation of resistors.

the on-line calculator you suggest is for "power" crossover (placed between amplifier and the set of loudspeakers), with a low input an low output impedence. If you use it with a line level inpedence (example 10 k ohm) you'll obtain very large values of inductors and capacitors.

ps: i strongly suggest not to use the Narrow Band Pass Filters, that is non-linear in a wide range of frequencies, but a Low Pass Filters followed by an High Pass Filters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.