Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2008, 08:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default crossover calculator

In my four ways system I want make a passive line level crossover (pllxo) to compare with my active xo now I use. Since the frequency cut are first order 200h-1000-5000hz I have to use the normal high pass, low pass calculator or the narrow band pass filter?
From what I understand from here: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp#cc
I have to use the high and low pass calculator for woofers and tweeters and narrow band pass calculator for mid-low and mid high.
I'm correct?
Old 12th March 2008, 12:14 PM   #2
acid_k2 is offline acid_k2  Italy
diyAudio Member

hi patriz

a passive line level crossover is a filter (or a series of filters) made tipically with low-power resistors (no inductor) and capacitors. It's not a very common solution, because you have loss in the signal due to the attenuation of resistors.

the on-line calculator you suggest is for "power" crossover (placed between amplifier and the set of loudspeakers), with a low input an low output impedence. If you use it with a line level inpedence (example 10 k ohm) you'll obtain very large values of inductors and capacitors.

ps: i strongly suggest not to use the Narrow Band Pass Filters, that is non-linear in a wide range of frequencies, but a Low Pass Filters followed by an High Pass Filters
Old 13th March 2008, 08:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was concerned about the use of high and low pass because they have to work in a very limited requency range 200-1000hz and 1000-5000hz so I supposed the narrow band pass suited best, but if you say this is true only for "power" xo I'll trust you.
Old 13th March 2008, 10:23 AM   #4
acid_k2 is offline acid_k2  Italy
diyAudio Member

for your passive line-level xo, some explanations here:

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/f...ssiveHLxo.html

read also:

http://www.physclips.unsw.edu.au/jw/RCfilters.html

http://www.qrp.pops.net/filter1.asp
Old 29th December 2011, 11:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default for passive LC pllxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_k2 View Post
hi patriz
Always take into account that the chock is non ideal inductor with respect wire resistance witch make calculations very different to a normal LC passive crossover with loudspeaker for load
a passive line level crossover is a filter (or a series of filters) made tipically with low-power resistors (no inductor) and capacitors. It's not a very common solution, because you have loss in the signal due to the attenuation of resistors.

the on-line calculator you suggest is for "power" crossover (placed between amplifier and the set of loudspeakers), with a low input an low output impedence. If you use it with a line level inpedence (example 10 k ohm) you'll obtain very large values of inductors and capacitors.

ps: i strongly suggest not to use the Narrow Band Pass Filters, that is non-linear in a wide range of frequencies, but a Low Pass Filters followed by an High Pass Filters

Hide this!Advertise here!