Zd5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks!
About front roundover:
Its easy. First I cut about 22mm 45 degree angle . Than I make round. Too, its easy to glue veneer because now you have only one piece for side. If you made 45 degree you must add narrow piece of veneer and that need patience and extra time.

Where to find Rythmik 12" sealed servo and what can be price?
Duka

http://rythmikaudio.com/amplifiers.html
the site has changed and at a quick glance i didn't see the kit pricing. i built this for a friend and used the A370peq amp (350w servo w/parametric eq. this is the sexiest sub amp i've ever seen) and the GR12" driver as my friend prefers paper nomex drivers. for myself, i think i would use the ds1200 from Rythmik. there is now a 600w servo amp but i know nothing about it. this unit measured flat to 14hz in my room and 11hz where it sits now.
email brian at rythmik, he is very helpful in answering questions.

you say you rounded off the 45deg cut. by hand or with a specific router bit? curious minds need to know.
thanks
david

Where did the ZD5 doc. go' ?

Hi
I hope some of you, or maybe John himself could tell me why i can't find the zd5 design documentation anymore?
I started building these 1 year ago. Half way thru the process i got very busy with other matters, causing the ZD5 project to be delayed. Now im about to finish these speakers (Cabinets just returned from the painter), but i noticed that the documentation was unavailable on the zaphaudio website :eek:(

It would be very helpful if anyone has at least the x-over schematic.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Jon.

Zaph had a bit on his blog page about removing the ZD5 design because of not being able to be sure that the right tweeter was available, I think it was the tweeter - consistency issues?. Looks like he's updated his blog and wiped that mention, but you might try PM'ing him at the PE forums. He said that if you'd already bought the parts, contact him for any additional info needed to complete, and that's the best way *I* know of to try to contact him.

Thanks rco3.
I will try to ask John Krutke in a pm.
I hope my tweeters are within normal tolerances. I bought the driver units ~1year ago and the receipt is gone. I hope my hearing will be a surficient tool to clearify if my tweeters are ok or not.

Best regards, Jon.

Tweeter polarity

I'm finally putting the ZD5's together after owning the parts for years. I guess that's what happens when children become part of your life (or lack of your own!).

I have to thank Neil Kaye for his excellent crossover parts drawing which I used. I do have one question though. On John's site (Zaph|Audio - ZD5 - Scan Speak 15W8530K00 and Vifa XT25) he says "Don't forget that the tweeter's polarity is hooked up in reverse. And the schematic is accurate in that the tweeter does not directly connect to a ground."

So does that mean that on the schematic where it indicates the tweeters red positive terminal it is in reality the tweeters actual negative terminal?

The crossover is one of the most interesting I've seen.

I'd travel significant distance to hear the ZD5, and would at least buy us both a nice meal if anyone's up to opening their house. I could bring a superb CDP, preamp, and amp, just for the sake of comparison too.

Neil,
I noticed that you position your speakers with the tweeters to the inside; have you tried them both ways and what are your conclusions?

Ray

Dying to hear the ZD5....my experience with tweeter offset is that it depends on the toe-in cross point: tweeter inside for cross point behind the listener, tweeter outside for cross point in front of listener. As usual, YMMV.

Does anyone know if John has opined on the audibility of absolute polarity? Absolutely no desire to split OT, just curious. Wondering if anyone has opinions to share of the audibility of absolute polarity with the ZD5. In my experience absolute polarity is more audible with speakers having mid and treble drivers wired in positive acoustic polarity (not the case with ZD5, in which the tweeter is apparently wired in reverse acoustic polarity). I'm expressing no preference or critical comment in any way, but rather only strictly personal observations. Two or three speakers with the tweeter wired in reverse are among my most preferred ever. I get the feeling reading about the ZD5 that the reverse tweeter polarity combines with the rest of the crossover design for ideal phase relationships.

Last edited:
Neil,
I noticed that you position your speakers with the tweeters to the inside; have you tried them both ways and what are your conclusions?

Ray

Dying to hear the ZD5....my experience with tweeter offset is that it depends on the toe-in cross point: tweeter inside for cross point behind the listener, tweeter outside for cross point in front of listener. As usual, YMMV.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.