Budget studio monitors from spare speakers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2008, 07:57 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Parts List

2W X-Over VIFA-VIFA

Quote:
Inductor, thanks for the design help. I'm new to crossover design, so let me see if I got this right. C2, L2, L1, and C3 make up the 2nd order crossover. R2 and R3 are a pad for the tweeter. And C1 and R1 serve as impedance correction. Is that right? How do I now go about calculating the values for all the components for the suggested 2kHz crossover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2k6_partslist-2.jpg (38.1 KB, 338 views)
Old 15th March 2008, 01:51 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default 2K2_partslist 1-order

Here you have a very well calibrated design for Hi-Fi use w/ a good step/impulse response from a 1-order xover. Try this and choose the way you like. With this design you can adjust the power for the tweeter on the R2 alone (only one resistor for attenuation). With n/u for the components list, you just have to shunt this connection (i.e. not used). Give some feedback. The other thing is that this is a 1-order (phase is = or less than 90, so it's very ok. Adjust distances between drivers for this effect. The other thing is that at full power the fs from the tweeter might show a little, but you can also test for moderate output at those frequencies 600-1000/1500 for full posterior operational use at overlap frequencies; xover freq. 2K2 - 89dB band pass, BSC=5dB (+/-) from 1K to 100Hz. Note: it lights up the high frequencies a little bit what some say is natural for an audiophile speaker.
Hope you like.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2k2_partslist 1-order.gif (9.0 KB, 260 views)
Old 15th March 2008, 10:55 PM   #13
santiu is offline santiu  United States
diyAudio Member

Inductor, THANKS for the second crossover option! Between the two designs, which do you think will have a flatter frequency response? Since they'd be used as a studio monitor, flatness is important. In fact I sort of need the opposite of a "Hi-Fi" sound. If anything I'd rather have recessed high's and low's (emphasized mids).
Old 15th March 2008, 11:45 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

You can have two external xovers and choose. Pay very much attention with connections. This is only good for you, not for friends or public studio because they might get mistaken very easily. Second order is better for your purpose, good phase and more linear across the spectrum. First order (second xover) is better for classic music, with good impulse response and less components, you can also test this one with a closed box (as for a 35L box or similar), with less bass but well-defined. Note that the first xover might have more neutral bass and highs and a more balanced overlap region because its merging is far better and in a shorter range of frequencies than in a first order, some people might not like that (short overlap region), it all depends. Again, if the first xover is not beaming at xover region 2K5 or 2K6, and it's merging is good then it's ok, if not it's xover frequency has to be lowered to the 2K2 region as the second one is. This does not mean you don't have to test them, because I never did and I don't know how they sound.
Old 16th March 2008, 11:26 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

A good reference speaker from Richard Allan.
(more: http://www.ls35a.com/)

http://www.richardallanaudio.com/rallen/frames.htm
go to
Products
Studio Nearfield Monitors
RA8 m
Old 18th March 2008, 08:58 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

After you are set with your speakers and your 2.order external xover look at some new Audioquest Single Biwire Speaker - Rocket 33 (ad on Stereophile) cables for the short connections on your mixing table. Double look on your budget...

Hide this!Advertise here!