EOSS array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had the opportunity to listen EOSS Musico system <http://www.soundpoles.com>. Is is actually a sound column (7 mid drivers + 1 tweeter). The area where the virtual sound sources located was wide and there were not so strict location as for the statics. In the vertical plane the directivity also was not narrow, when I sat down or stand up there was not too much difference in the sound stage. I think that they control the voltage on each speaker, thus making array with wide directivity in vertical plane. My question is does there exist a similar (DIY) project? The column is 72”x3.5”x3.5”, and the frequency range is from 180Hz. Sorry but I had no possibility to disassemble it or even have a close look. Is it closed box or a dipole system? If it is dipole, I couldn’t explain that low frequency, if it is closed it might drone like the organ pipe (may be it has partitions).

In find these partial arrays to be flawed

Hi Dimitri,
let me state that I have not heard the specific design you are looking at, but overall I find these pseudo arrays of a single tweeter and an array of woofers, or even a short cluster of tweeters and a long array of woofers a flawed design.

They can sound balanced at one spot, however the sound from the woofer array will degrade in volume at -3db per distance, while the pointsource tweeter will degrade at -6db per distance. Therefore they are hard to balance. In fact I have found that it is even worse in the vertical direction, the balace changes as you stand or sit, since you are changing your distance relative to the linesource and the pointsource. As for a cluster of tweeters, not only will the comb somewhat, but there will be a hot area beaming directly in front of the tweeter line, and the highs will drop off above and below this short line.

I am sure these can sound good given the above oddities, but they come with some built in challenges.

James

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: In find these partial arrays to be flawed

jmiyake said:
let me state that I have not heard the specific design you are looking at, but overall I find these pseudo arrays of a single tweeter and an array of woofers, or even a short cluster of tweeters and a long array of woofers a flawed design.

They can sound balanced at one spot, however the sound from the woofer array will degrade in volume at -3db per distance, while the pointsource tweeter will degrade at -6db per distance. Therefore they are hard to balance. In fact I have found that it is even worse in the vertical direction, the balace changes as you stand or sit, since you are changing your distance relative to the linesource and the pointsource. As for a cluster of tweeters, not only will the comb somewhat, but there will be a hot area beaming directly in front of the tweeter line, and the highs will drop off above and below this short line.

I am sure these can sound good given the above oddities, but they come with some built in challenges.

Some very valid points.

If the array (and 7 drivers is few for an array) are tapered in some manner that could mitigate things -- they may even be configured as a Bessel array which would give them performance like a single driver but with more ompf).

In reality if you are going to do an array it hould be an array of midbasses next to one of tweeters -- unless you can get the size of the midbasses down to 35 mm or less (IIRC).

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.