Big sound in a small enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if there are anyways of getting a nice sound from a small enclosure. I guess the hard challenge is getting good bass, so I'm guessing a reflex enclosure would work here...

High sensitivity drivers would be good also, as I'm using a 41hz.com amp6 to drive everything, which is good for 20W per chan at 4 ohms.

I was thinking maybe the eminence beta 8 would be good for bass and mid duties, and some random tweeter? Even then I think 8" is a bit big... I don't really know where to start really, but I think it would be good to keep it simple and go for 2 way.

I'm not really after a finished design (tho that would be nice), I'm just after some suggestions for various drivers, preferably ones that are available in the UK.

Overall, I'd prefer a good amount of SPL and a large frequency range, I'm not so bothered about a flat frequency response. I plan to use these speakers in lots of different places... :)

Hi,

Probably active variable EQ for baffle step depending in placement
and an active 6th order vented alignment to maximise bass output.
Both can be arranged by thevmaniplation of the power ampliers
inputs and feedback loops, i.e. treating it as a large op-amplifier.

:)/sreten.

Hey Mike,

Do you remember what I told you about ProAc Studio Monitors (Studio I MK IIs or Studio 100s). Try to clone either. At least go listen to them somewhere!

Unfortunately, Richie said it all. Forget 20 watts into 4 ohms for this application/footprint with authoritive bass.

Hopefully the Celestion can be a good choice.

In the ProAcs, the mid/woofers are Scanspeaks and can be bought from ProAc (slightly modified for them by Scanspeak) for less than 100 pounds each and the tweeters are also scan speaks and can be bought from any retailer. The crossover isn't too complicated. The box making is up to you to make well. It is front ported. However you will need 60 watts per channel into 8 ohms for these to rock. You can probably make them for a total of less than 500 pounds. Or like I suggested last time, look for them used.

I don't have the experience some of these other guys have so I am recommending what I know and what I am sure you will be extremely happy with. But after building these, you will want to look at everything else in your system. I hope the other guys can give you better news.

Good luck!

MikeHunt79 said:
I was wondering if there are anyways of getting a nice sound from a small enclosure. I guess the hard challenge is getting good bass, so I'm guessing a reflex enclosure would work here...

High sensitivity drivers would be good also, as I'm using a 41hz.com amp6 to drive everything, which is good for 20W per chan at 4 ohms.

I was thinking maybe the eminence beta 8 would be good for bass and mid duties, and some random tweeter? Even then I think 8" is a bit big... I don't really know where to start really, but I think it would be good to keep it simple and go for 2 way.

I'm not really after a finished design (tho that would be nice), I'm just after some suggestions for various drivers, preferably ones that are available in the UK.

Overall, I'd prefer a good amount of SPL and a large frequency range, I'm not so bothered about a flat frequency response. I plan to use these speakers in lots of different places... :)

I'm not sure it will meet your requirements, but this is a suggestion I made to a very similar requirement recently:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118633

The Beyma 8BX should be good from about 11 kHz down to about 33 Hz in a 30 liter box - and NOT require baffle-step compensation.

richie00boy said:
A Linkwitz Transform will need more power than the little amp can give.

Cascading LTs is a lateral idea but the power requirements would quickly get out of hand, again with 20W it's unfeasible.

41hz has a 100x4 amp that isn't much bigger or more expensive but can also run off 12-24VDC.

plus the L-T can be limited to moderate bass extension and only requires a lot of power when boxes get VERY small or bass is VERY low.

anyway, it's a thought.

What do you consider compact? I mounted a pair of Hawthorne Silver Iris coaxials in some minimalist winged baffles as a Christmas present for my son.

Pictures at:http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=93&pos=2 I added grille cloths after the photos were taken.

The baffles are just a bit taller and wider than the 15" drivers, but only 8" deep at the base and 4" at the top. They won't exactly nestle onto a desktop, but they work fine on top of the pair of armoires in his college dorm room. At 95 dB/W or so, they'll make plenty of noise with an Amp 6. Bass is useful down close to 50 or so. The top panel makes a nice handle and they don't weigh much so transportation is easy.

The drivers aren't exactly cheap, but the xovers are included and the cabinet cost is low so the system cost isn't too bad. I don't know where else you can get the combination of size, efficiency, power handling and frequency range for the money. If you'd rather trade off bass for smaller size, Hawthorne has a 10" driver that will work in a very small baffle.

Bill

Re: Re: Big sound in a small enclosure

I still keep meaning to listen to some of those proac's, they do seem nice but they are bit expensice for something I will be moving around a lot, and possibly get damaged...

I'm not really too bothered about the bass below 60Hz, basically I want somethings that's pretty portable but still has plenty of spl.

I know it's a comprise, but I think there has to be a line drawn somewhere as I don't want to haul around a labhorn everywhere i go! :eek: I forgot to mention I use my amp6 on batteries and mains, depending on where I am... Right now it wired up to 2 x midi hi fi speakers that I have gaffer taped together... :D They are 6 ohms, and sound ok, but I'm just looking for something that will beat them in terms sql for a similar size. I'm guessing between 1 - 2 sq ft would be nice.
sreten said:
Hi,

Probably active variable EQ for baffle step depending in placement
and an active 6th order vented alignment to maximise bass output.
Both can be arranged by thevmaniplation of the power ampliers
inputs and feedback loops, i.e. treating it as a large op-amplifier.

:)/sreten.
Ok a lot of that went over my head, but I've thought about just having a single mono bi-amped channel. I could use op-amps to sum the stereo signal, then each one channel for midbass and the other for highs. Basically I'm aiming for spl over sq, so I intend for it to be like a "baby pa system" or something like that. :)
gtforme00 said:
Gah! Hoffman rules again...
I know. :( Basically I'm after the most amount of sql from a certain size box...
ScottG said:

I'm not sure it will meet your requirements, but this is a suggestion I made to a very similar requirement recently:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118633

The Beyma 8BX should be good from about 11 kHz down to about 33 Hz in a 30 liter box - and NOT require baffle-step compensation.
That does look like a nice driver, if they done a 4ohm version that would be even better... Does is have a built in passive crossover, or can it be biamped?
lousymusician said:
What do you consider compact? I mounted a pair of Hawthorne Silver Iris coaxials in some minimalist winged baffles as a Christmas present for my son.

Pictures at:http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=93&pos=2 I added grille cloths after the photos were taken.
They do seem very good, I'd probably go for the 10" version... I'll have a look into these drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.