Big sound in a small enclosure - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2008, 01:53 AM   #11
y8s is offline y8s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to y8s Send a message via MSN to y8s Send a message via Yahoo to y8s
Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
A Linkwitz Transform will need more power than the little amp can give.

Cascading LTs is a lateral idea but the power requirements would quickly get out of hand, again with 20W it's unfeasible.
41hz has a 100x4 amp that isn't much bigger or more expensive but can also run off 12-24VDC.

plus the L-T can be limited to moderate bass extension and only requires a lot of power when boxes get VERY small or bass is VERY low.

anyway, it's a thought.
Old 8th March 2008, 05:00 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

What do you consider compact? I mounted a pair of Hawthorne Silver Iris coaxials in some minimalist winged baffles as a Christmas present for my son.

Pictures at:http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/photos...album=93&pos=2 I added grille cloths after the photos were taken.

The baffles are just a bit taller and wider than the 15" drivers, but only 8" deep at the base and 4" at the top. They won't exactly nestle onto a desktop, but they work fine on top of the pair of armoires in his college dorm room. At 95 dB/W or so, they'll make plenty of noise with an Amp 6. Bass is useful down close to 50 or so. The top panel makes a nice handle and they don't weigh much so transportation is easy.

The drivers aren't exactly cheap, but the xovers are included and the cabinet cost is low so the system cost isn't too bad. I don't know where else you can get the combination of size, efficiency, power handling and frequency range for the money. If you'd rather trade off bass for smaller size, Hawthorne has a 10" driver that will work in a very small baffle.

Bill
Old 8th March 2008, 11:44 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

lousymusician's is an excellent suggestion.

I am waiting fort an excuse to try these drivers. I would imagine that they would require a bit of space around them though???
Old 8th March 2008, 04:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dublin78
lousymusician's is an excellent suggestion.

I am waiting fort an excuse to try these drivers. I would imagine that they would require a bit of space around them though???

More space is in general better, but I had mine in a pretty small room for a while and the results were still listenable.
Old 8th March 2008, 07:03 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Big sound in a small enclosure

I still keep meaning to listen to some of those proac's, they do seem nice but they are bit expensice for something I will be moving around a lot, and possibly get damaged...

I'm not really too bothered about the bass below 60Hz, basically I want somethings that's pretty portable but still has plenty of spl.

I know it's a comprise, but I think there has to be a line drawn somewhere as I don't want to haul around a labhorn everywhere i go! I forgot to mention I use my amp6 on batteries and mains, depending on where I am... Right now it wired up to 2 x midi hi fi speakers that I have gaffer taped together... They are 6 ohms, and sound ok, but I'm just looking for something that will beat them in terms sql for a similar size. I'm guessing between 1 - 2 sq ft would be nice.
Quote:
Originally posted by sreten
Hi,

Probably active variable EQ for baffle step depending in placement
and an active 6th order vented alignment to maximise bass output.
Both can be arranged by thevmaniplation of the power ampliers
inputs and feedback loops, i.e. treating it as a large op-amplifier.

/sreten.
Ok a lot of that went over my head, but I've thought about just having a single mono bi-amped channel. I could use op-amps to sum the stereo signal, then each one channel for midbass and the other for highs. Basically I'm aiming for spl over sq, so I intend for it to be like a "baby pa system" or something like that.
Quote:
Originally posted by gtforme00
Gah! Hoffman rules again...
I know. Basically I'm after the most amount of sql from a certain size box...
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG

I'm not sure it will meet your requirements, but this is a suggestion I made to a very similar requirement recently:

tweeter advice

The Beyma 8BX should be good from about 11 kHz down to about 33 Hz in a 30 liter box - and NOT require baffle-step compensation.
That does look like a nice driver, if they done a 4ohm version that would be even better... Does is have a built in passive crossover, or can it be biamped?
Quote:
Originally posted by lousymusician
What do you consider compact? I mounted a pair of Hawthorne Silver Iris coaxials in some minimalist winged baffles as a Christmas present for my son.

Pictures at:http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/photos...album=93&pos=2 I added grille cloths after the photos were taken.
They do seem very good, I'd probably go for the 10" version... I'll have a look into these drivers.

Hide this!Advertise here!