Aperiodic Vents - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2008, 03:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Aperiodic Vents

Such as this one
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=296-546

When and how should they be used? How does it figure in when designing and enclosure ETC. I would like to know for the hell of it but it may be useful in my reg cab P/U just kicking around an idea.
Old 8th March 2008, 10:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Aperiodic Vents

Quote:
Originally posted by MykeysToy
Such as this one
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=296-546

When and how should they be used? How does it figure in when designing and enclosure ETC. I would like to know for the hell of it but it may be useful in my reg cab P/U just kicking around an idea.
I am not sure, and I can't remember a software available to simulate it. In essence is a "large" (infinite) (en)closed box with a damped vent, resulting in a less peak at the system resonance.

Read here about Dynaco Speakers:

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynac...ers/index.html
Old 8th March 2008, 09:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Inductor
That was actually a pretty good read. I think I will have to find some reading material before entertaining any further thoughts though.

Mike
Old 8th March 2008, 10:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have started a short page on Aperiodic Speaker Enclosures. Not too much info yet, but it is growing slowly. Also, here is some more info on the Aperiodic Dynaco Speakers:

http://t-linespeakers.org/classics/dynaco.html
Old 8th March 2008, 11:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks to you gmilitano, it's my pleasure to go and read it about it. Maybe this thread can be a souce of information on this same theme.
Old 9th March 2008, 07:09 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

One of the most advanced aperiodic boxes built was the PEARL PR-2. A huge amount of real R & D went into this. It was in mainy respects a model i have based some of my designs on...

I've attached a picture.

Bill's series of holes with high density open cel foam as additional resistance works very well, but is quite labour intensive if you plan on veneering it. I have found the long skinny slot like the Dynaco one of the easiest to implement. The resistance unit for this can be made with 2 pieces of mesh (ie plastic gutter mesh) and 2-4" of fiberglass insulation.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif perkinspr-2-sm.gif (38.0 KB, 632 views)
Old 9th March 2008, 05:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ooohhhh! That was nice!
Old 9th March 2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

That is a very interesting enclosure. The small holes in the back were called a "distributed vent" by Neville Thiele, (of Thiele-Small fame).

I enlarged the pic of both the drawing, so that you can see the captions of what is written on the inside, and also of the back view photo of the finished enclosure.

The interior seems to be filled with densely packed stuffing. Behind the woofer is a small open space, then a tunnel leading through the densely packed stuffing from that space directly to the vent holes. The tunnel is made of lighter packed stuffing.

I am not sure what purpose the dividers in the middle of the enclosure serve. It might make the enclosure a three chamber aperiodic enclosure, something I have not seen before, or it might just serve to hold the stuffing up. Not certain.

Anyway, here is the enlarged drawing so you can read the printing about the stuffing densities:
Attached Images
File Type: gif damps1-drawing.gif (51.8 KB, 233 views)
Old 9th March 2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

And here is the enlargement of the back, showing the "distributed vent", or small vent holes. It looks like eight holes across, 11 rows from top to bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: gif damps3-photo.gif (93.4 KB, 214 views)
Old 9th March 2008, 06:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

This was focused on car audio but seems to explain a bit. I just have to wonder how much is psudo-science and how much is actually fact.

http://www.audiogearreviews.com/tech...c_membrane.asp

Hide this!Advertise here!