would 2X15,2X12 work in 1 cab? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2008, 08:50 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Canada isnt to far :-)

yea i think ill just make 2 separate cabs. 1 2X15, 1 2X12, will still sound good.

ill post some pictures up as im building it.

those dimensions seem good, 30x30x15 ish

i was also looking for some type of metal grill but i cant seem to find 1 anywhere!!!anyone know of any sites?

thanks
Old 7th March 2008, 09:28 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hey DH, Depending on what you are looking for, you could buy something from McMaster-Carr and if it isn't the color you want paint it. They are a industrial supply company (in case you don't know). They carry a lot of different metal stock, including various perforated metal patterns. Not sure if they are painted or natural metal. Good luck.

Peace,

Dave
Old 18th March 2008, 02:17 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default so far

Well the cab is built, still got some work to do on it, but the basics are there

these speakers are ancient!!!

here are a few pics if anyone was still interested.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ss/cab1011.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ss/cab1009.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ss/cab1001.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ss/cab1006.jpg
Old 18th March 2008, 02:59 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hey DH, The cab looks pretty good. Are those Altec?! If so, you have some really sweet drivers right there. They are quite possibly worth some bucks, so treat them kindly.
So, are you going to finish the cabs in tolex or carpet, or are you going for polyurethane for a natural look. Have you found a suitable metal for grill covers. If you are going to put some sort of grill cloth over the front, then you could cover the speaker cutouts with a coarse screen from a hardware store for an extra measure of protection. And if those are Altecs, they are worth protection.

Peace,

Dave
Old 18th March 2008, 03:28 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default hmm

I have no idea what they are lol. ill check them out

yea im planning on getting some carpet this week. I got some thin metal made for going infront of old school furnaces. its pretty thing so i think ill get some screen like you mentioned. Thanks for the help
Old 18th March 2008, 03:34 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hey DH, I was looking at your thread in the musical instrument section, the original cab for the 15's looked like an old fender cab for the bandmaster head of the 60's. We had one of those setups in my high school auditorium. They had a damn fine tone. I remember a guy jamming away on a strat doing some surf music. It looks like you got a great score with that find. You could probably still sell the cab to someone!

Peace,

Dave
Old 18th March 2008, 03:45 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default well

1 problem. the cab is in really bad condition. has sheetrock screws put in all over the place. it looks like someone tryed to repair it or something. definatly not built this way in a factory. has 2X4's all over the place on the inside. looks like a 12 year old got ahold of a drill and some wood haha

Hide this!Advertise here!