Need advice on a horn based system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2008, 12:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need advice on a horn based system

Hi,

I'm new to the whole DIY audio thing. As a first project, I want to make a system based on horns. It primary use will be home theater, but I want it to sound good with music too. I'm on a budget, but I want it to be a significant upgrade from my current system which is a creative Gigaworks S750. This shouldn't be too hard as its only a $400 commercial system.

What I'm looking at so far:

Subwoofer (20-150 Hz): Tuba Home Theater http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

Mid bass (150-2500 Hz): ?? I need advice on this

Tweeter (2500 - 20000 HZ): BMS 4540nd compression driver with a parts express 12" waveguide. I'll buy a couple of cheap waveguides/horns from parts express to try out at the same time. If I don't like any of them, then I'll upgrade to something more expensive (maybe from 18 sound).

I need advice on what to do with the mid bass. It would make sense for it to have a sensitivity of about 100-105 db to match up with the sub and tweeter. I want it to sound natural and it also needs to be fairly cheep. Also, what do you think about the components that I have already chosen?

Also, I guess I should mention that I'm planning to bi-amp the speakers with low component chip amps. I'm planning to start out building a 2.1 system, and if I like the results, I'll upgrade to 7.2. Space to put the speakers is not a big deal to me. 50% speaker area and 50% living area is fine by me. However, I would like the speakers to be smaller than the 3x3x3 ft subwoofer.

Thanks,
GestaltH
Old 8th March 2008, 10:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Need advice on a horn based system

Quote:
Originally posted by GestaltH

I need advice on what to do with the mid bass. It would make sense for it to have a sensitivity of about 100-105 db to match up with the sub and tweeter. I want it to sound natural and it also needs to be fairly cheep.

B&C 10HPL64 10" (+/-)98dB Neodymium Woofer ($119.93)
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=294-678

Selenium 10PW3-SLF 10" Driver (+/-)94dB ($48.00) with stamped steel frame though.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-332

Eminence DELTALITE®-II 2515 (+/-)99dB 15" though, to xover/connect to a CD.
http://www.eminence.com/proaudio_spe...5&SUB_CAT_ID=3

To make it louder you need a horn on the midbass or an expensive driver not a cheep one.
Old 8th March 2008, 11:05 AM   #3
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
you are asking the mid horn to cover 4octaves.
This is the speaker that will handle most of the information and 4octaves might be asking a bit much from a high quality horn.
I guess a driver around 4inch to 6inch would couple to a Tractrix quite well. But it must have a strong magnet and a high BL to drive the horn properly. If you want 150 to 2500Hz from this driver than look for drivers that are distortion free from 70 to 5000Hz. That will be a tall order.
But, I'm sure some here can give you possible candidates.
There is another thread discussing mid drivers. Have a look for it.
Old 8th March 2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Banned

It is nearly impossible to cover 150 to 2.5K with that sensitivity unless you use multiple drivers - then you will have problems with driver spacing unless you limit the bandwidth of one of the drivers. A horn to cover that wide of range will be large, and will place the treble driver too far from it's center and will be compromised in bandwidth and difficult to build to cover that wide of range. think using a compression driver that can be crossed over below 1200 cycles is a better way to go. IOW use a compression driver / horn that will go much lower. It will much eaiser to get good results,
Old 8th March 2008, 11:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnetar
think using a compression driver that can be crossed over below 1200 cycles is a better way to go. IOW use a compression driver / horn that will go much lower. It will much eaiser to get good results,
Hi Magnetar,
I think that's a good idea (for a start) for a pair woofer cone/compression driver on the lower xover band close to 1K2 for the BMS CD and a 3.order network on its side and about 10dB+ attenuation.
Old 8th March 2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Inductor

Hi Magnetar,
I think that's a good idea (for a start) for a pair woofer cone/compression driver on the lower xover band close to 1K2 for the BMS CD and a 3.order network on its side and about 10dB+ attenuation.
I agree but am not too sure about the driver he already has using it that low. I had a pair and thought they were best used as a tweeter above 4k. It seemed strained and hard sounding (odd order distortion?) when used any lower then that

I like the little Beyma CP380 in a small format driver for that bandwith
Old 8th March 2008, 12:10 PM   #7
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Supravox or AudioNirvana ?

Or have a look at Beymas MF series
Old 8th March 2008, 12:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnetar

I agree but am not too sure about the driver he already has using it that low.
Recomended xover @1900Hz for the BMS CD.
Another idea for the woofer is a BMS ($200.00+/100dB+).
Attached Images
File Type: gif bms-4540nd-pic.gif (44.6 KB, 391 views)
Old 8th March 2008, 12:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Horn suggestions--mid bass

While I cannot comment on your choice of either the sub or the BMS drivers, I would suggest you carefully look at the JBL 2206 12" for the mid bass. It is flat, low distortion, high output, etc. Available for the bargain price of around $275-300 each.

IMHO this is the most important component of your new speaker system.

Good luck.
Old 8th March 2008, 10:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Horn suggestions--mid bass

Quote:
Originally posted by homebuilder
While I cannot comment on your choice of either the sub or the BMS drivers, I would suggest you carefully look at the JBL 2206 12" for the mid bass. It is flat, low distortion, high output, etc. Available for the bargain price of around $275-300 each.

IMHO this is the most important component of your new speaker system.

Good luck.
Yes, homebuilder. And thinking about saving money I guess it would work well without a crossover for the JBL. No doubt the best driver around. Make it two...

This baby is ruler flat from 150Hz to 2000Hz @112dB with no distortion in sight. Tell me about building pro speakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!