I really have no idea what I'm doing here...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I acquired some random drivers in a trade here on the forum.

They are:

1" Tympany's

4" Tangband

I'd really like to put them in the cheap/sexy PE curved boxes if at all possible.

Who wants to do me a big favor and run these through one of those fancy software packages that y'all have access to?

These are for the little ones room, he's 7 months old and he mostly enjoys string music and dislikes rock and jazz.

I might be able to trade something, since this is kind of a specialized request.

How about a copy of Ornette Coleman's "Science Fiction", original pressing?

I don't have any fancy software but since no one has jumped in I can work up a simple 6db/octave crossover for you.
Put a 1.5mh coil in series with the woofer. This electrically crosses over intentionally low so that it attenuates the rising raw response of the tangband and provides baffle step compensation.
For the tweeter you need two things. First a 4uf capacitor in series for the high pass. You also need an L-pad because the tweeter is naturally louder than the woofer. So in between the capacitor and the tweeter, put a series 5ohm resistor and a 4 ohm resistor in parallell with the tweeter. In other words, right across the tweeter terminals for the parallell resistor.
This is simple but will work and sound balanced. You may need to experiment with polarity of the tweeter.
Hope this helps.

a couple of quick WinSID plots

I'm assuming you are looking towards the 0.25 cu ft enclosures. Here are a couple of quick stabs at modeling the 1052 in both vented and sealed 0.25ft enclosures.

Just to state the obvious: you'd get a better bottom end with a 0.5 ft vented cabinet. 0.25 ft gets you pretty close to an "ideal" 0.707 Q for the sealed.

The port for the vented cab is either 1" diam and 4" in length or 1.5" diam and 9 5/8" in length.

Hopefully some of the more experienced folks will chime in...

Good luck,

Squib

Attachments

• 1052.jpg
    1052.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 290
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.