Peerless XXLS vs. Dayton Reference vs. Dayton Titanic MKIII ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, has anyone compared these things head-to-head? I'm looking for a good 12" to use in an ~2.0 ft^3 sealed box. Peerless makes an XXLS specifically for sealed boxes. Both Dayton drivers would seem to work well in this configuration. One thing that confuses me is that the Dayton reference series subs are much newer than the Titanic MKIII, but also cheaper. Is the Titanic a better driver? Are there any other drivers I should be considering in the sub-$200 price range? I read Zaph's comparison of the Dayton reference to the Skaanig and that seems to make a compelling argument for using it, but what about the long famed XXLS?

Hmm..........

If I counted right, there are 8 different XXLS 12" around (including the car variants), and there are significant differences between them, especially cone properties.

I have experience with the 830952, aluminum cone. Behaves as expected, running in a ~50L CB.

- Klaus

ShinOBIWAN said:
The XXLS isn't as good as the XLS for deep bass but extends a tiny a bit higher. I'd go with the XLS every time out of the two.

Hmm... Shin, I don't know how you concluded so. It depends on which model of XXLS to use and how to use it. The XXLS is an improved version of the XLS---same xmax but longer mechanical excursion---, and provides different choices for T/S parameters, i.e., better optimized for different applications.

I compared the Dayton RSS315HF and the XXLS 830844 side by side. I chose the XXLS because it fitted my application better. My sub directly radiates toward the listening position. Higher order harmonics (breakup-induced, higher than 5th order) are audibly louder from the Dayton than from the XXLS. This was easily confirmed by feeding bass tones and listening closely to the drivers. In a situation where it doesn't have to radiate toward the listener, the Dayton is a great subwoofer. Very well built.

I use the 830844 in a closed 2 cu ft box. This gives Qtc lower than 0.5. So, this gives me a very shallow rolloff. Coupled with the O Audio amp's mild bass boost and a notch filter at the room mode (via parametric EQ), the sub provides a satisfactory result.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Jay_WJ said:

Hmm... Shin, I don't know how you concluded so. It depends on which model of XXLS to use and how to use it. The XXLS is an improved version of the XLS---same xmax but longer mechanical excursion---, and provides different choices for T/S parameters, i.e., better optimized for different applications.

Here in the UK we only have one choice of XXLS - the auto sound model(one with the cheap looking peerless logo on the cone). Not wanting to knock the design but the XLS in this case is just plain better. This is were my comment came from. Jury is out on the other variations, at least until I've used them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.