PHL / ESg 3 way question - AR2 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2004, 05:01 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Hi Rick,

I have only used the XR-45 in active systems, which are notoriously easy on amps and in that setting, it easily outperformed $2500 worth of Pre / Power I had on a passive system.

That said, you should not take that to mean you can simply get a $350 receiver and kill a giant. The Panny is not very powerful and compared to more expense amps, lacks in sound stage depth and realism.

I think its great, no for its price and used in an active system, can give surprising results, but beware the hype……..

Branwell
Old 12th November 2004, 10:13 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Hi Branwell,

Sounds very sensible – they seem to have generated a lot of hype.

How do you think they would compare to a (2nd hand) conventional HT amp like a multi-channel Rotel/ Adcom/ etc of similar watts?

Rick
Old 13th November 2004, 01:49 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hi Rick,

Sorry, I don’t have any experience with other receivers so cant comment.

Branwell
Old 12th March 2005, 11:11 PM   #34
akunec is offline akunec  Canada
diyAudio Member

Has anyone considered matching the PHL 1120 with a LCY ribbon tweeter? They claim to have a very wide vertical dispersion (unlike all other ribbons).

Also, Im building a speaker with a PHL 1120 and a 12" lambda woofer and i was wondering if running the Lambda TD12 (single faraday ring) all the way to 400hz was a bad idea?

I have heard that 50% of music material lies between 200 and 800hz. How much of the material lies between 35-400hz? The phl is a very capable driver and I just want to be sure that the TD12 will keep up with it at 400hz.
Old 13th March 2005, 12:07 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Lambda TD12 with a faraday ring to 400hz - from what I’ve read, no problem.
I think you could run it to out to 1000 hz, though 400 could be a good compromise. It‘d be good if you could also try say 300 &600.

Cheers
Old 13th March 2005, 01:48 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

PHL 1120 + faraday motor TD12 is a great combination. The TD can
do full range will great sound quality so any low pass crossover
point above 200hz will work well as the 1120 likes it above 200hz.
Old 13th March 2005, 02:38 AM   #37
mac is offline mac  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by akunec
They [LCY] claim to have a very wide vertical dispersion (unlike all other ribbons).
Vertical dispersion for a ribbon is directly related to diaphragm length. So, a Fountek JP3 or AC G2 should have as good or better vertical dispersion. The horn loading of the LCY will most likely have a controlling effect on its dispersion pattern.
Old 13th March 2005, 03:03 AM   #38
akunec is offline akunec  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input guys. The only reason I brought up the LCY was because it is the only ribbon tweeter that I can find that posts frequency response offaxis vertically. I can't find any raven or ac ribbons that post any offaxis data, and I'm surely won't invest in something when I don't know how it will perform when not in the sweetspot.
Old 13th March 2005, 03:14 AM   #39
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

AC G2 vertical dispersion. Ignore everything below 10kHz, because this is a measurement from a 3-way.

Click the image to open in full size.

Bold blue: 0
Purple: +2.5
Dark blue: +5
Green: +7.5
Gray: +10
Old 13th March 2005, 04:23 AM   #40
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Lambda TD will go higher than SB that I have. I tested SB 12 all away up to 500Hz and it was great all along. At the end I crossed it at 275 Hz, because my PHL mid is 10" and there is a real benefit of having such a large mid driver. Beaming is not a problem with this speaker, but if crossed lower than 225 Hz it starts being noticable.
I do not have experience with LCY, but with my G3 AC the foll off is dramatical. It doesn't bother me but if you are after wide dispersion this certainly wouldn't be the speaker for you.
It is great to see that you guys keep this tread alive.
Good luck with your building.
AR2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sidetopview.jpg (69.2 KB, 144 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!