Beginner needs assistance restoring old Merak M4 Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2003, 05:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Beginner needs assistance restoring old Merak M4 Speakers

I purchased a pair of Merak M4 speakers at a thrift shop for $9.99. I really liked the enclosure style. I know little of the speaker manufacture but web searches revealed they were made in Canada. Tower type speaker 40 " high but tapers 15" up from the bottom to the top on the front. The foam surround in the speaker in both enclosures in the tapered top half are gone revealing a almost clear speaker in both. However behind those almost clear speakers are a reddish speaker regular type material about the same diameter. The diameter of the clear plastic speaker minus the foam surround is 7 1/2". I suspect speaker is poor quality. However the enclosures are very heavy, very sound , very tight, braced , looks like high density particle board covered with thick veneer as good as quality as my Altec Lansing Sevens. I guestimate the speakers are late seventies vintage. Hard to tell what size the tweeters are being behind a steel enclosure ...3 1/2 inches between screws. There has to be a very strong magnet in those tweeters judging by the way it grabs my steel ruler tape.

In the bottom is an 8 1/2" port opening.

1. Suggestions as to what quality speakers I should replace the existing speakers with..i.e. Infinity Kappa Perfects etc. and what diameter size of speakers I would use.

2. Can I install speakers as well in the ports? If so what do you recommend and diameter? Would I wire parallel/series to the new upper speakers?

3. I have never replaced speakers in my life so any asistance is appreciated. I had the foam surrounds replaced on my Altec Lansing Sevens I picked up a lawn sale for a dollar by Cambridge Speakers 3 blocks from where I work. They build speakers for other audio companies. Would you recommend I buy quality speakers and have them do the work?

Thanks
Old 2nd March 2003, 09:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Addict

If the Cabs are really as good contruction and unusual shape as you say, it's definately worth a rebuild!

Before we can proceed, you need to do some math... we need to know the volume enclosed by the box, and the cutout sizes for the drivers. The exact dimensions of the port would help as well- did you mean a round hole 8.5" in diameter, or something else?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 2nd March 2003, 10:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes.

1.There is an existing port only on the front of each speaker on the lower section of which is 8.5" in diameter. This port is covered by a round speaker grill of which diameter is 12". This grill is removable ,protrudes out to easily allow a speaker to be set into that port. I would like to turn this port into an active speaker. The appearence of that speaker grill over that port gives the illusion that there is a speaker there as well.

I should mention also there is an exit port at the back exact plane which is 8 1/2" diameter. I would close this back port in after the speaker rebuild.

2. The diameter of the speaker port which houses the woofer speaker is 9" . The speaker is above the open port described in 1. above.

3. The speaker enclosure design is trapazoidal when viewed sideways.

Dimensions of the speaker enclosure side view are

11" depth (width) at the bottom. This stays 11" depth from the bottom until it is 15" high from the bottom where it angles in ward toward the top from the speaker front side...beveled towards the back of the speaker. At the side view top the depth or width on the side view is 4.5" The tweeter is up near the speaker top.

Enclosure is 40 " height ...it is straight up at the back side

Each speaker enclosure is 13" wide when viewed from the front.

The speaker density board thickness is 3/4". So the interior dimensions is the outer dimensions less 3/4".

Hope this helps.I quick sketch on paper will easily show its design.

Again the veneer is immaculate and thick. I like the looks of the enclosure.
Old 2nd March 2003, 10:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I forgot to add..these speakers are a 2 way system but has that extra speaker port.

Thanks

Dennis
Old 5th March 2003, 02:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If the foam surrounds are the only problem, I think you would be making a mistake to alter the speakers. Refoaming is easy enough, and generally the manufacturer is better able to balance all the contradictory imperatives of speakers than someone just arbitrarily changing things. This especially so since the two Merak speaker sources I could come up with were a canadian company that claims to have worked with Floyd OToole, who has a good reputation for knowing what he is doing, and a Merak that was sold by Rockport. The latter one was trapezoidal with a great deal of care taken on its cabinet (as should be at $14500!) and very high quality drivers -- the tweeter is an esotar. You can find both by going to google and typing in Merak +loudspeaker. If you have the Rockport Merak you will have hit one of the best price paid versus value ratios I have heard of.
Old 12th March 2003, 05:04 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Eddy.

Dennis
Old 3rd December 2010, 02:55 AM   #7
Halli is offline Halli  Canada
diyAudio Member

I know this posting thread is ancient, but I just picked up a pair of these for literally peanuts ($15 the pair, rebuilt the passive radiators front and back, and WOW do I love these speakers. Very amazing bass extension, airy highs, amazing for jazz and vocals, I can't find anything these don't do really beautifully. I'd never heard a pair before I got these, and I would love to find out one day how much they originally retailed for... I suspect they were pretty high end, based on the sound and build quality.
Old 21st November 2011, 11:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello

I've found a pair of Merak Acoustics M5 Speakers and I have the same problems with the foam surround.

It's a nice speaker with a SEAS tweeter but I don't know who made the woofer.

Bye

Gaetan
Attached Images
File Type: gif meraks acoustics - m-5.gif (16.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 15th April 2014, 03:11 PM   #9
Halli is offline Halli  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default I refoamed and reworked my set of Merak towers - WOW

Now that I had the chance to fix my Merak towers, here's what I found out.

First, Merak was made as a less-expensive line by Axiom Audio, in Dwight, Ontario.

The Merak's I have are slightly different than the original poster's - mine have a 10" woofer per cabiniet, with the same milky/semi-transparent polypropylene woofer cone. I re-foamed those, they came out great.

At the bottom of the cabinet there are two ports. These are intended for 10+ passive radiators. I made my own passive radiators using suitably-sized circles of stout cardboard (one day I'll re-do them with foam-core) glued into the center of a pair of 10" woofer replacement foams (so the radiators are flat, not cone-shaped) and to provide some additional mass to drive the resonant frequency down, using epoxy I glued some flat washers onto the cardboard... I believe I used 3/4" washers, and put 3 on the front and 5 on the rear, so there would be two different resonances for these to supplement the low bass.

The results are, to my mind, spectacular - there's realistic, proportionate yet seriously-low low bass from these. I would say they have a sligthly laid-back subdued midrange (since the 10" woofer is performing the midrange as well as bass) butt they have the sparkling highs and excellent imaging one gets from these incredible SEAS tweeters. So overall, I would call them "warm" sounding rather than sterile, but the deep bass really sets them apart when there's deep bass in the source material. I'd love to stick a midrange into it, but I'd like to keep them "vintage/accurate". I keep them on a receiver where I don't tend to use the loudness button, and they're just perfect without any added bass bump.

So... if you're thinking of putting active speakers into the lower part of the cabinet, try what I did, save yourself a whack of money, and keep them closer to the original design which was a 2-way, with one or two passive radiators close to the floor for coupling. You won't be disappointed in the results.

Hide this!Advertise here!