Celestion ditton 66

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I don't know, but this fellow Allen would seem to know.

His site seems to be about restoring vinyl records-hmm, I should give that a look. He lists his equipment, including a refurbished Celestion Ditton 66. He seems to be into restoring old equipment-good for him!!
http://www.a-reny.com/restauration/restaurperso.html

In another thread, you mentioned that you had the unique passive radiators from this model hanging around. My guess is that you plan to go ahead and use them in an enclosure. This guy looks like a good choice to contact on that issue.

Although I was unable to locate an Email address on the page I gave you, Allen seems to have cross-links to family websites, etc. There should be an Email address in there somewhere.

Good luck! Let us know how you made out on this. :)

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
PS:

If you click on "Back To Restore Menu" in the upper left side of the page I just gave you, you will be taken to the following page:
http://www.a-reny.com/iexplorer/restauration.html

Scroll down the frame on the left, and you will see what appears to be two Email addresses:

Allen RENY
a.reny@online.fr

Allen Reny@2001

Since he put these on his web page, which is publicly accessible, I hope he won't mind if I post them here.

Thanks, I found the dimensions somewhere else. I have four of the fc12 woofers and two of the passive radiators for the model 66. I've got two 2" midrange domes and two morel dome tweeters coming from parts express so I'm going to try to recreate the ditton 66 with them. The dimensions that I got were 40" x 15" x 11.5" .

:D H i please let us know how it turns out your recreation of the ditton 66, I am curious as I have just become the proud owner of the next model down the ditton 44... ;) btw anyobody know anything about the 44? in the next couple of days I'm going inside the cabs to investigate the x/over etc and construction just out of curiosity: I only heard them briefly at the sellers home though it's not the same as having it hooked up to your own equipment playing your material,cd's etc, etc, cheers and best regards;) Tomcat:devilr:

:D hope you can get them for a couple of litres of petrol mine cost
AU $149.00 for the pair at a s/h shop bit like a hock shop chain locally called "CASH CONVERTERS" going back today to lay-buy a DENON CD player dunno the model but as I USED TO HAVE ONE ABOUT 10 YRS OLD anything made by denon is good enough for me BTW this is OT but anyone know any good tweaks for denon cd players? cheers to all:) Tomcat:devilr:

Hi there - my first post!

Recently I was very lucky to see a pair of Celestion 66 in my local paper. I paid the asking price 75 pounds and dragged them home. They look beautiful and sound great. It has taken me some time on the net but al last I have found some decent info about the 66:

Frequency Response 18 Hz to 40 kHz
Pink Noise Sensitivity 4.8 Watts
Recommended Amplifier Capacity 10 Watts to 160 Watts
Driver Complement 1-HF2000 Dome Tweeter (1")2-MD500 Dome Mid-range (2")1-FC12 Bass (12")1-A.B.R (12")
Crossover Frequencies 500 kHz5 kHz
Cabinet Dimensions 40" x 15" x 11.5"100 x 38 x 29 cm
Nett Weight 59.0 lbs / 26.8 kg
Shipping Weight 70.5 lbs / 32.0 kg per pair

re the 44:

Frequency Response 25 Hz to 40kHz
Pink Noise Sensitivity 4.0 Watts
Recommended Amplifier Capacity 10 Watts to 100 Watts
Driver Complement 1-HD1000 Dome Tweeter (1")
1-D5 Cone Mid range (6")
1-FC12 Bass (12")
Crossover Frequencies 500 Hz
5 kHz
Cabinet Dimensions 30" x 14.5" x 10"
76 x 37 x 25 cm
Nett Weight 45.0 lbs / 20.4 kg
Shipping Weight 51.5 lbs / 23.5 kg per pair

I'm now after another pair of 66's or maybe some 25's

cheers ittf :)

:bigeyes: Lucky YOU , I am extremely pleased with my 44's now after extended listening I reckon it far surpasses the KEF Cocerto's I used to have in every respect despite the paper cone mid and bass driver the tweeter[ the HF 2000] in particular IMHO is far superior to the kef t 27..... CHEERS AND BEST REGARDS TOMCAT:devilr: I reckon you got a bargain for your 75 quid.... not many spkrs on the market today that would equal them:angel:

Cheers qwad!

I thought they were too good to miss.

The same seller sold 3 mint & boxed quad items 33, 303 & FM3 for 75 pounds including the manuals! But they had already gone by the time I saw the ad. Some folks don't know how valuable old equipment is.

Thanks for the friendly welcome.

Regards ittf

Ditton 66, 44 and 25

Hi there,
Having owned the three models above mentioned (66, 44, 25) and having worked for a store where we used to sell them.. (it helps!) :cannotbe: I must say that the 66 was king of the store then, in 1978.. he he..

The 44 was nice too, but the 25 literally sucked! it's midranges (2 small (Celef?) affairs (used on the LS3 5A too, I think, but as tweeters) were badly in trouble to reproduce anything that had power in the mids. Then, you had boom boom (woofer) and tissh tissh.. (tweeter) and nothing in the middle.

I' have sold all of them, and three years ago, got another 66 pair, just for fun. It remembered me good ol' days when I was in my 20's.. and I finally resold them to a local rec. studio.

As a fact, I still respect these speakers, but have really falled in love for Tannoys and .. tubes.. he he.. though I keep a ss amp for the days when I need to rock the place a bit..

Sylvain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.