Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2008, 05:31 PM   #11
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Through a little more research, thought and planning, I have revised the plans for the MLA's.

As far as drivers are concerned, I really won't have much choice but to go with the Dayton Classic 6.5" drivers. They are the only ones in my price range, not to mention that I know exactly how they sound and what they are capable of.

What I will do to help these drivers out as much as possible is to implement a Zobel network into the design to flatten the impedance as well as implement a parallel notch filter to tame the 3.2kHz peak. Of course, I will be hounding you guys for pointers and advice on these two circuits since it will be the first time for me ever attempting such a thing. Keep in mind, these will be the ONLY two passive circuits in the entire project. As far as crossover, time alignment and EQ duties are concerned, I'll be using my Behringer DCX2496. I hoping that I will not need to use much if any EQ at all on these speakers. The less EQ the better, but I am not against using EQ at all.

I was also thinking, with the Zobel and notch filters, I could possibly raise the xover point a little to maybe 2.5kHz. Would this be alright since the notch filter will be in place and the fact that the xover will be at 48dB per octave? I'm thinking that that 3.2kHz peak from the woofers combined with the notch correction and sharp xover rolloff will be almost nonexistent.

After re-reading the specs on the Dayton BR-1 kit, it is actually 0.52cf tuned to 38Hz. However, I am still going to design mine off of the idea of 0.55cf and will tune a bit lower.

Now here's the twist... Instead of using 10 drivers per channel, I'm going to go with 12 per channel, and I'm going to tune a bit lower to 35 or 33Hz (33Hz is the FS of the driver). Having 12 of these drivers in a line, they are going to be just about 78" tall from basket edge to basket edge. With that in mind, I am going to have the enclosures exactly 84" tall (7ft). This will give me 2" above and below the outer-most drivers. And for the Dayton PT2-C's, I am bumping up the quantity from 5 per channel to 8 per channel.

As for the center channel, I am starting to think that I don't have to build it as large as the mains. In fact, I'm almost certain of it. That would just be a majorly huge center channel and it's probably not necessary. I have a couple questions about the center channel as well...

1) What would be a good number of drivers to go with?
2) Since this will be a horizontal speaker, would I also have the tweeters mounted horizontal or would I flip them 90 degrees and have them vertical, maximizing the horizontal projection of the tweeters?

So what do you all think?
Old 1st March 2008, 06:35 PM   #12
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chops
I was also thinking, with the Zobel and notch filters, I could possibly raise the xover point a little to maybe 2.5kHz. Would this be alright since the notch filter will be in place and the fact that the xover will be at 48dB per octave? I'm thinking that that 3.2kHz peak from the woofers combined with the notch correction and sharp xover rolloff will be almost nonexistent.

Actually, I just read a reply on another forum that this will not work since the cetner-to-center spacing of the 6.5" drivers will be too far apart for even a 2.1kHz xover point, much less a higher point like 2.5kHz stated above.

Hmm... Back to the drawing board.
Old 1st March 2008, 10:19 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default driver placement

I'd think wertical mounting of the tweeters for the center channel would be the only way to minimize floor reflections muddying up the sound... one of the advantages of the planar design is low and controlled vertical dispersion. You'd be literally turning that advantage on it's side if you mount them horizontally, I believe.

The only problem with vertical mounting (side by side I presume)now becomes on-center distance and lobing between the drivers... which is why I went with single linear non-array drivers above...

I think the upper limit for the 6.5" you have would be ~ 800 hz or so, giving 1/2 lambda of 8.5" as a minimum (still with lots of null potential) and preferably lower still, depending on how far back you sit.

If you notice, the 6.5" peerless in my setup have cutdown flanges... maybe find some cheaper versions of same (maybe in a 5" or 4.5") you could use them. I was originally gonna do a vertical midbass array up beside the BG 75's, but after using the 2 peerless 6.5" (150w rms each) in a ported communal box, I am more than satisfied with output well below 45 Hz (where my subwoofers take over anyway) ~ 107 dB @ 15' in a 12000 ft^2 cathedral ceiling room b4 noticeable distortion...all I can take

The BG's have a notch filter @ ~5.5Khz, and the midwoofers are zobel'ed as well

Hope this helps in some way...

John L.
Old 1st March 2008, 11:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default xover zobel, etc.

here are 2 shots of the passive xover... with zobel on bottom and notch filter at corner with small coil

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

John L.
Old 1st March 2008, 11:48 PM   #15
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Actually, I just read a reply on another forum that this will not work since the cetner-to-center spacing of the 6.5" drivers will be too far apart for even a 2.1kHz xover point, much less a higher point like 2.5kHz stated above.

Hmm... Back to the drawing board.

Hi,

Agree, Maybe you get better ideas if you take a look at the submitted 8(8) point source simulations:

b

1(8)
Attached Images
File Type: gif mla.gif (44.8 KB, 400 views)
Old 1st March 2008, 11:52 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

2(8)
Attached Images
File Type: gif no.gif (63.2 KB, 368 views)
Old 1st March 2008, 11:53 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

3(8)
Attached Images
File Type: gif ok.gif (68.5 KB, 332 views)
Old 1st March 2008, 11:55 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

4(8)
Attached Images
File Type: gif 6_5 x10_arr-.gif (97.5 KB, 317 views)
Old 1st March 2008, 11:56 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

5(8)
Attached Images
File Type: gif 20x2in-arr-.gif (94.3 KB, 302 views)
Old 1st March 2008, 11:59 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

6(8)
Attached Images
File Type: gif arr_comp.gif (56.4 KB, 319 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!