Studio Monitor diy options vs off the shelf - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2008, 04:09 AM   #1
stax is offline stax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Studio Monitor diy options vs off the shelf

G'day

Im in a position to buy some studio monitors under $1k Aud ..

Options are pretty much - Alesis Mk1 6" / KRK RP5 or RP6 or Yamaha HS80M

Is it possible to build something as good or better than these powered monitors for similar pricing?

or am i wasting my time as i guess amplifier cost might drive the diy option through the 1k limit.

I have no problems building boxes etc, not interested in building an amplifer so that would be a purchased item.

Any opinions or gear options would be greatful.

Thanks guys.
Old 29th February 2008, 04:37 AM   #2
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello,

ProAc is pretty popular Down there and unfortunately expensive!

They have Studio 100s. Maybe you can clone these or their older and very similar model, the Studio I MK IIs.

Amazing from top to bottom but you have to find your own amp and a Rotel RB-980BX would do the job beautifully @ 120 watts per channel.

I have KRK Rokit 5s hooked up to my Digidesign MBox2.

I have ProAc Studio I MKIIs in my Living Room and they are like from two different planets with the ProAcs being the better.

These monitors are used in more recording studios than just about any other!

Find a dealer and give a listen!

Good luck!

Regards//Keith
Old 29th February 2008, 08:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Building a powered monitor for under $1K is difficult, but building a passive speaker and powering it with a separate amp is easier.

The main difficulty that I'm finding is sourcing a decent 50Wx2 (or better) plate amplifier to whack on the back of the speaker.

If you're interested in the passive route, there are a handful of speakers that I could recommend that would beat the entry level monitors like Alesis/KRK hands down...
Old 29th February 2008, 09:52 AM   #4
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

I am building a passive speaker now for $700 worth of parts plus cabinet. But learning to build takes some time if you design yourself. If you build speakers from Zalph, Troel, or Tony Gee is quicker and easier.

I am sure it will beat any off the shelf speakers worth $1K. $1K speakers in Australia is not really top notch, ie monitor class.
Old 29th February 2008, 01:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi ttan98,

I've worked in the pro audio supply chain for awhile now, and like consumer hi-fi, there is a wide variability in quality (and prices) to match.

Monitor class is not "top notch"
Old 29th February 2008, 01:44 PM   #6
stax is offline stax  Australia
diyAudio Member

thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

Yeah im definatly interested in building a passive speaker and powering them with an amp.
Never wanted to try build a a box with a amp screwed into it

To be honest, my jaw sort of dropped at the price of monitors, and i dont really have the gear to support something like orpheus or dynaudio level of speakers (2k+)..

tktran: im keen to learn what combinations would work best for this purpose around the same price range.

Basically 1k would be my maximum spending, and i want to get the best quality possible for my money. Ive built speaker enclosures in the past so this is not an issue.

Speakers + amp combinations most welcome
Old 29th February 2008, 03:06 PM   #7
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

BTW, the Rotel would be used. They don't make them any more. The current model ie the RB-1070. Used RB-980s go for $250 to 300 USD here. That would leave you $700 to 750 to build the monitors. ScanSpeak manufacturers the both the mid/woofer and the tweeter in the ProAcs. The cabinets aren't complicated but are front ported and the crossovers aren't too complicated either.

When my mid/woofers needed to be replaced, I found buying ScanSpeaks with shipping was only a little less than buying the originals from ProAc. ProAc also said the mid/woofers were made to their spec so this was a no brainer but the tweeter is the original ScanSpeak. You can make your own PCBs for the crossovers and acquire the correct components and wiring yourself to keep that cost down and make your own cabinets!

I bet you could do it for $750. With the amp, $1K is do-able with very nice results!

Look into it, you won't be disappointed. At least listen to the Studio 100s at the dealer to set what your level of expectation should be. Or look for them used. I have seen the Studio I MKIIs go from $300 to 500 used. The only difference between the Studio Is and the Studio 100s is the tweeters are offset in the 100s, requiring a mirrored pair.

Good luck!

Regards//Keith
Old 29th February 2008, 04:00 PM   #8
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey, how exactly would the design of a monitor differ from the design of a bookshelf speaker? Would you use different drivers, or a different enclosure design? Or both?
Old 29th February 2008, 04:22 PM   #9
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by klankymen
Hey, how exactly would the design of a monitor differ from the design of a bookshelf speaker? Would you use different drivers, or a different enclosure design? Or both?
A good question IMO. I do know that with venting, they would be located in the rear, rather than front as with bookshelf speakers.
Old 29th February 2008, 09:37 PM   #10
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Monitor Class

Not many people can spend lots of money buying expensive monitor and that includes me.

To spend $1,000 I suggest you look seriously at one of the projects by Zalph, Troel, or Tony Gee, you will get monitor class or near monitor class quality full stop.

Also parts in Australia are expensive, if you decide on 2 or 3-way projects try drivers from scanspeaks(expensive), you will very happy with them. I use scanspeak clone drivers(usher drivers) they sound very good already, and if you use scanspeak, it would be even better. $1,000 well spent. The speakers will last for many years to come.

BTW, A pair of speakers from Legend Acoustics using scanspeaks($5,000 a pair) drivers, I heard they sound very good indeed, monitor class.

Hide this!Advertise here!