Line Level BSC Again, adjusting dB. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2008, 04:13 PM   #1
kvk is offline kvk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Line Level BSC Again, adjusting dB.

Asked about this a couple weeks ago but have a follow up question.

I know the very basics how passive filters, e.g., as described here, work.

Now, suppose I didn't want 1st order 6db per octave. Suppose I wanted 4db or 3db. I'm not sure how to calculate that. Intuitively if I has a passive low-pass with an R in series and then a C in shunt, I would guess that if I added an R in series with the C shunt so I have an RC shunt, that would reduce the order of the filter. I have no idea how to calculate that though.

You know what would be cool, I've been messing with Duncan Amp Tools PSU Designer II. By messing around with the value and adding and deleting components and then looking at the graph, I learned a lot about how passive filters work in PSUs. (Unfortunately it would let me take out the darn bridge amplifier and also I'd want the graph as frequency response).

I tried a few freeware filter tools around the net and all have just the standard filter topologies defined. It would be nice if there was one where I could add the R/C/L components to the schematic, like PSU Designer, and then give me a frequency response graph. Anyone know of such a freeware?

Right now, this is all mental frobnication on my part to try to learn more about this stuff.
Old 27th February 2008, 04:33 PM   #2
kvk is offline kvk  United States
diyAudio Member

You know about 20 minutes after I posted this, I found http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/b...ssive-BSC.html
which was were I was looking at some other stuff but I originally didn't see that page.

I think that give me a lot of what I want to learn. It still would be cool if there was a simulation program that would do a graph based on the circuit of choice.
Old 27th February 2008, 07:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The circuit here (Fig 3) is so simple, just build it and try....
http://sound.westhost.com/bafflestep.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!