Tired of small scale OB, going big..Selenium 15PW3-SLF-15 questions.?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey MJK,
I am just giong on what I have learned in building OB's the primative heartache way. I do plan to EQ somewhat, & will use very large panels if needed. then 12" TT on nothing more than 18" wide, I should discount the plates amps as I am almost sure this is not worth my time, so active with my Ampex EL-34 mono's for bass drivers is what I want, if they fail, I will go big SS active, thru a crappy Behringer till I finish my Steve Bench tube XO. I will most likely tri-amp this rig, with SET on mid's & horn. Will also get a quad of DE10, w/ variouse sized conical wave guides for front & rear fire experimentaion. If it fails, I will simplify it. I have all the amps & then some, so that is covered.thankfully. I know I should sim all this, but....I think I can pull it off. I really feel biggest failer rate in OB land is a crappy mid.. I will not go there long if at all.
Thanks J & G

In my opinion, the Selenium is not a good choice. I would select the Eminence Alpha 15A over the Selenium. The fs is almost the same but the Eminence has a higher Qts and a lower cost. I think the Eminence is a much more versitile driver and can be used in more dipole configurations without the need for any EQ or high powered amp.

Trying to figure out BIG OB Bass for my build

Reviving this thread to see if the OP ever finished this project and had any impressions on the Selenium 15PW3 in OB.

I have the same desire as the OP to do big scale OB and I'm trying to figure out a "mid-cost" bass solution. Pretty familiar with the Eminence Alphas, so looking for other directions. Would love other people's thoughts/experiences with big OB bass.

I was thinking about servo-contolled OB from GR Research, but my OB is High Efficiency and will require at least 6 of their 12" OB speakers and 2 amps to keep up with my mids/tweets (= mucho $$$.......over $1700 US with shipping).

My build will be Active XO, 3 or 4 way. I've got the DCX2496 and a big bass amp stable to 2 ohms, so I can parallel four 8 ohm drivers per side.

Thanks all

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.