Ultimate Loudspeaker - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2008, 09:10 PM   #11
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpetek
Dear All,

The reason why i didnt buy the VR11 is very simple. if you look to the costs of driver of this loudspeaker there is no relation to the price they want.

Josef
the sound coming from VR11 is sum of many parts including, drivers, x-over and cabinets and many hours of testing. It is NOT so easy to dulpicate the sound unless you know "most" of the info on these speakers NOT just the drivers. Those who clone the Wilson Pupp I am not sure how successful they are in achieving their aims.

I agree with SDCLC that you would be better building speakers from Humble Homemade HiFi and Troels Gravesson - there are many very high-end three-way designs on those sights that may just peak your interest they have lots of info there, if you want more info they would be glad to give them to you FREE.

BTW the sound from line array is different from conventional 3 way speakers. If I were you, you need to narrow down to the type of sound you most likely to enjoy and then build or buy the type of speakers that fit into that kind of sound.

hope this helps.
Old 23rd February 2008, 09:26 PM   #12
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member

A $150K speaker with a passive crossover ? You gotta be kidding me
Having loads of different drivers (a 6-way ??) humongously complicates crossover design (and implementation especially if it's passive). Yes, it can be done, but the amount of designer time is reflected in the price (along with a large marketing multiplier, lol).
Start simple...
Old 23rd February 2008, 09:52 PM   #13
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

Why not wait for Lynn Olson's newest projection? RAAL + 18sound drivers or maybe try something similar to Shinobiwans RAAL + Audio Technology 3-ways.
Old 23rd February 2008, 09:55 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hello Josef,

Large loudspeaker with many drivers is useful when you want high level with low distortion. That means you have an enough large room to produce high SPL levels (not good for your ears) and amplifiers which can handle this speakers.

If you can have technical skills to build such big speaker, Ok you can try. The correct design of such loudspeaker requires a lot of experience, measurement system, simulation software etc.
Otherwise you should better build a DIY kit or buy something less expensive. There are brands like ATC, FOCAL, JBL, SONUS FABER, PROAC etc.

Hope this brings something to you.

Regards.
Old 23rd February 2008, 10:45 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Hi,

sorry chassis means driver.
Yes I have the room about 100 squaremeter.
without Limit for the money.

regards

Josef
I'm with you on this, that design is just absurd. While I'm sure it sounds great, that's a given because it has such a ridiculous amount of drivers. If you're going to build what is essentially a wall of speakers, you might as well design one of your own from the ground up around the drivers and crossovers you intend to use.

Call me lazy, call me old school but, I still like the sound of a good 2-way run full frequency, no crossovers. I mean come on, a good driver shouldn't need manipulated by a crossover. Some limiting on your tweeter but beyond that, wide open is the only way to go in my opinion.
Old 23rd February 2008, 11:39 PM   #16
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1400WATTSRMS+
I mean come on, a good driver shouldn't need manipulated by a crossover
That is quite far from the truth objectively. Purpose built drivers can be outstanding if implemented properly.

BTW that design you've linked looks like a haphazard jumble of expensive drivers with little consideration for acoustics.
Old 24th February 2008, 07:40 AM   #17
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Our solution is a line array with 7 drivers for miidle/high and 3 seperate Dipol for the bass per channel.

Josef

Well, maybe we think too technical here, but an array of mid/high drivers has even more lobing (Interferenz) problems than an oversized dŽApollito. Mid/high drivers that really do enough SPL are the Sonus ESLs and the soon to come Aero from Paul Paddock.
Old 24th February 2008, 07:52 AM   #18
jpetek is offline jpetek  Germany
diyAudio Member

our solution is very special. We do not use normal driver, we use full range driver special design for this speaker on a open front without lobing.

The sensity will be 120 db/w!

regards

Josef
Old 24th February 2008, 08:06 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The sensity will be 120 db/w!
Seems a tad high, even with 7 drivers. Colour me skeptical.
Old 24th February 2008, 08:14 AM   #20
jpetek is offline jpetek  Germany
diyAudio Member

dear brett,

the designer i am working with is since over 30 years in the business.
He told me this fact.

I dont know.

But this sensity is a problem because you have to found a good amplifer without any noise!

I am sure that 99,9% are not able to driver this speaker. You need only 0,01 w or less.

Josef

Hide this!Advertise here!