Re-Jigging the jig: Speaker testing device for Arta, Speaker Workshop & HOLMImpulse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hey John!,
That's excellent! Looks like a number of people are interested and your kit erases all worries about not being able to find the proper parts.

Hi Chris,
Rather enthusiastic response actually, I'm surprised.
I wanted to offer something that can be finished without mucking around looking for parts and trying to get an enclosure together to hold it. This is complete (even includes little rubber buttons as feet for the bottom :) ).

Due to the demand, I have decided to order some more boards but I have something else that I want to propose. I'll do that a bit later tonight.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Where did you source the case? I like the idea of veneering my own....

The cases are made by yours truly :)
Nothing fits better than a handmade custom fit, right? ;)

You will have no problem veneering the box. They are basic, unpainted and sanded smooth. They are not perfect - some filling may be required if you are looking to do a high class paint job on it, but the price is right :).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ed,
Thanks, but posting at another site is your idea. I have no problems at all with this. This is one of those kits that makes life so much easier for experimenters. I wish a kit like this was available when I started.

Hi John,
Rather enthusiastic response actually, I'm surprised.
Am I that grouchy? :eek:

I wanted to offer something that can be finished without mucking around looking for parts and trying to get an enclosure together to hold it.
I think you nailed that! Really, what you have put together may be a simple and straight forward circuit. But, it's finished very, very well as well as eliminates the hurdles of obtaining parts that actually fit the board. The front panel shows well, and you know without a doubt when it's on. The user interface is both attractive and well thought out. My feeling is that members may leave it out because it is attractive.

The best part of this project is that it is useful and easy to use.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I should have some new boards by early next week for the jig. Please PM me if you are interested.

Also I have had several inquiries about the microphone posted earlier and would like to see if there is any interest in this as a kit also:

_129.JPG

_167.JPG

It uses the WM-61A capsule and has a built in battery powered preamp. It is perfect for the speaker testing jig - just plug it in and turn it on.
Post you thoughts here.
I will be ordering a limited number of PC boards for these to start. I will post back here with pricing as soon as I have that pinned down.

:)
I should have some new boards by early next week for the jig. Please PM me if you are interested.

Also I have had several inquiries about the microphone posted earlier and would like to see if there is any interest in this as a kit also:

View attachment 158637

View attachment 158638

It uses the WM-61A capsule and has a built in battery powered preamp. It is perfect for the speaker testing jig - just plug it in and turn it on.
Post you thoughts here.
I will be ordering a limited number of PC boards for these to start. I will post back here with pricing as soon as I have that pinned down.

Count me in... I like...perfect mate for jig. :D:)

PM me - there is still one that is on the fence.
PM sent :)

Regarding the mic kit - can you test capsules vs a calibrated mic or such?

I've built a few DIY mics with Panasonic capsules - I just use them without power or pre-amp straight to my sound card. Works OK, maybe greater dynamic range with the power/preamp setup?

It'd be awesome if we had some way of having (at least close to) calibrated mics for cheaper. I've got a few mics, none calibrated.

The only way I see that happening is if we find that a certain "batch" of WM61A capsules are all pretty close, so just one needs to be calibrated and then if we buy the kit, we can all use the same cal file with decent results?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
First, all kits were shipped today. Let me know when you get them. :)

Hi John,
Any idea what the cost will come in at? It does look like a nice project.

Hi Chris,
I'm working on it - I need to come up with an easier way to make the case. The original is wood, which is fine for a prototype by doesn't fit for making multiples - it would be too expensive.

PM sent :)

Regarding the mic kit - can you test capsules vs a calibrated mic or such?

I don't think calibration is really needed for the DIY use of a measurement mic. There is a generic cal file available for the WM-61A capsule that flattens the HF response. The WM-61 is very linear in anyway.
SPL accuracy is not really critical, you want to be able to measure each drivers output relative to the other drivers and measure each speakers output relative to the other speaker.
If calibration is something you feel you need, the mic/preamp unit can be sent out for calibration, just like any other mic. The calibration comes in the form of a file they you input to the measurement software you're using (like Speaker Workshop or HOLMImpulse).

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
:)

Count me in... I like...perfect mate for jig. :D:)

Count me in...;)

Ok, some interest but not as much as I expected. It would be nice to see a few more hands...:)

I've built a few DIY mics with Panasonic capsules - I just use them without power or pre-amp straight to my sound card. Works OK, maybe greater dynamic range with the power/preamp setup?

I'm not sure just how good the mic input on a soundcard is - they are not supposed to be very good but it is probably good enough for speaker testing. I've never tried to use one for that before.
The preamp I have in this microphone is VERY good though and has a couple of handy features for measurement. First it is ultra portable - it is a self contained mic with preamp. Heck, when you are done measuring you can even do some Karaoke with it, just plug it in to any amp and sing along...:D
It has 2 gain settings, 20db and 10db for nearfield measurements. It's ultra low noise, battery powered with regulated phantom power for the electret capsule. Low current drain, a 9V battery will last a loooong time.

Enough pitch, I will order a few boards, see what I can scheme up for the case and ask again if there is any serious interest in this unit.
I can say that it has made these kind of measurements very convenient for me, I won't look back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.