Re-Jigging the jig: Speaker testing device for Arta, Speaker Workshop & HOLMImpulse - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2009, 01:04 AM   #61
Account disabled at member's request

Eric Wallin has a good walk-trough of the level setting procedure here.

Claudio's cables are pretty straight forward but have you double checked everything? Mistakes have a way of hiding in plain sight.
Old 28th December 2009, 10:27 PM   #62

Some updates:
Prompted by another member I am posting the changes I've made to the all-in-one jig. The version shown earlier has a flaw and should NOT be used.

I have a revised schematic:

ALL_IN_ONE_JIG_SCH.pdf

It is designed with a single board layout in mind:

117.PNG

It has board mounted standard 3.5mm phono jacks and is powered by an AC wall wart. I have the prototype mocked up but I'm waiting on the switches - especially the 4PDT before I stick it in a small enclosure.
Should be sweet!
Old 1st January 2010, 11:24 PM   #63

The All In One is not all in one anymore - the microphone preamp is now separate. I have built a new mic and it has the preamp enclosed:

_129.JPG

_167.JPG

It uses the LM6132 and I expect the 9 volt battery will need to be changed from old age rather than drain. It has a low (10db) gain setting and a high (21db) setting, selectable with the switch.

I modified the electret cartridge as suggested by Linkwitz successfully and it works very well, though I didn't notice a difference with the response tests I did.

Last edited by MJL21193; 1st January 2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:16 AM   #64

A few good reasons to leave the mic preamp out, amongst those is my desire to use the jig to test amplifiers - I will build an attenuator that connects the amplifier to the mic input on the all in one jig. This simplifies things quite a bit.

The jig is nearing completion:

_148.JPG

I received the switch I needed and got it up and running. Works like a charm.

Here i have the front panel done. It is an etched copper clad board, cleaned and sprayed with clear lacquer to prevent tarnish.

_150.JPG

I think it looks cool.

Nice to light it up:

_159.JPG

The box it lives in is being painted and should be ready for action in a couple days.
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:18 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

I'm jealous, having never thought of using PCB as a front panel with illumination!

Beautiful work as always, John. Did you etch the boards?
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:40 AM   #66
WT is offline WT
diyAudio Member

Your new jig sure look good and please tell us how it perform. Great idea on illumination pcb. Wow. For me, it seems to help measure speaker easily. I love to do this project after I finish my mic preamp with phantom power. Would you mind share your PCB design?
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:34 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith1315 View Post
Beautiful work as always, John. Did you etch the boards?
Thanks!
Yes, I etched both the circuit board and the front panel board. I've been wanting to use this idea for a while (PCB front panel) and saw this as the perfect project to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
Would you mind share your PCB design?
I'll post the layout in .pdf soon (for those that can etch their own) or you can email me for the Gerbers, but give it some time - I don't have the board configured for export to RS-274X yet (some drill sizes to change, etc.). The board uses specific parts too, like the 3.5mm jacks and the switches so an accurate BOM would need to be put together.
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:47 AM   #68
WT is offline WT
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Will wait for pdf file. I studies your pcb and starts to worry for the 4pdt switch. It is hard to find around here.
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:55 PM   #69

Hi WT,
The switch is THIS one. All of the components are fairly inexpensive - the wall wart was ~$8.00 (12VAC, 1amp).

OK, I'm done. Box is painted and dried:

NPX_002.JPG

The front panel slips into slots in the box.

A closer look inside:

NPX_004.JPG

The LEDs were an after though and I just rigged up a simple rectifier on an open part of the board. The LEDs are running at around 10mA, so not full brightness. The bezel is cut from a broken fluorescent light fixture and is stuck in place with 2 small spots of duct seal. I may get ambitious in the future and change the internal lighting but this will do for now.

And here it is together and all lit up:

NPX_013.JPG

Ready for action.
Old 3rd January 2010, 02:15 PM   #70
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Very nice!

...offer some boards? including the faceplate?

Hide this!Advertise here!