Re-Jigging the jig: Speaker testing device for Arta, Speaker Workshop & HOLMImpulse - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2008, 05:16 PM   #21
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by 4fun

Hi John,

I hope you are aware that a motherboard with Intel 815 chipset can only address up to 512MB memory. It may not be an issue for you but maybe worth mentioning.
Thanks, I didn't know that. It's not a problem though, as I only have 192MB of PC100 on the current board.
Nice part of any Intel board is their on going support, with regard to drivers and BIOS updates.
The board I'm looking at on Ebay comes with a CPU and ram. Some spares to have on hand.
Old 24th February 2008, 05:34 PM   #22
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi John,
I bought a 2.8 GHz computer complete for about $150 CDN. Locally. It also had the XP lic. stuck on the outside of the case.

This would seem to be a better move.

-Chris
Old 24th February 2008, 06:02 PM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193
What sound card are you using? I had an old Thinkpad 780ed that I tried before with an Audigy PCMCIA card, but it wouldn't work - processor wasn't fast enough (PII, 266MHz). I gave up on that and switched to a desktop, but I'm having issues with that too.
It's an M-Audio Transit, and it seems to work pretty well. The laptop is an old P3 with 256meg of memory- the only annoying thing is that SE opens all its windows expecting a larger screen size than 1024x768 so I have to keep moving everything around, and occasional glitches when the MLS doesn't seem to sync properly. But it is usable.

Chris, I agree, if I wasn't using up surplus parts, I would have done it differently. However it's not as bad as you might think, the traffo is fully screened, and after tweaking the lead dress 50/100Hz pickup is tiny in RMAA.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 24th February 2008, 08:30 PM   #24
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Al,
Yours does not seem to be as cramped.

I know bench space is always at a premium. That's why I try to design things to fit in places that are standard or not used. If you have a laptop, then it probably runs warm and having another item do double duty (cooling the laptop), without taking up any more room than is already spoken for seems very attractive.

I stuck my USB 'scope into a small 1U 19" rack space and screwed it above another piece. I didn't lose any bench space by doing this.

Hi John,
Yes, if you have to carry it about, then small is good. All you need now are rounded edges.

-Chris
Old 24th February 2008, 10:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally posted by anatech
Hi John,
I bought a 2.8 GHz computer complete for about $150 CDN. Locally. It also had the XP lic. stuck on the outside of the case.

This would seem to be a better move.

-Chris
Where's the DIY fun in that??

When I upgrade this computer, I'll move this one down there. This one still has a year or two left in it though. The Ebay mobo is the cheapest solution for me right now, providing I can get it for the right price.
The P3 doesn't have any problem handling the programs I'll run on it - RMAA, SW, RTA and eventually Arta.

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

It's an M-Audio Transit,

However it's not as bad as you might think, the traffo is fully screened, and after tweaking the lead dress 50/100Hz pickup is tiny in RMAA.
Laptop is probably the best fr this purpose (mobility). Maybe I keep my eye open for a reasonably priced one.

Noise. Here's how much noise there is in the operating jig. This is with the mic preamp connected to the LM3886 which is connected to my shop speaker. No mic connected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im001399.jpg (97.2 KB, 1257 views)
Old 24th February 2008, 10:20 PM   #26

Here's how things look with the same setup, but with everything turned off.
Not much noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im001402.jpg (95.4 KB, 1104 views)
Old 24th February 2008, 10:52 PM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

Hi John,
The 'scope will not tell you very much at all. Connect the HP to it and look for real answers. Oscilloscopes are not known to be terribly sensitive instruments. Also, you can't pick anything out of the noise there.

I'm not saying you will find noise, I'm just suggesting a better instrument for the job.

With any luck, I might be getting a working HP 3585A some day soon. I did pick up an HP 3580A (early) that doesn't work well. Can't use it. The 3562A is the other instrument I really, really want to pick up. Some day.

-Chris
Old 24th February 2008, 11:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally posted by anatech
Hi John,
The 'scope will not tell you very much at all. Connect the HP to it and look for real answers. Oscilloscopes are not known to be terribly sensitive instruments. Also, you can't pick anything out of the noise there.
Hi Chris,
The scope is the only thing I have, other than my ears. Usually, when my ears hear no noise, I don't bother to connect the scope. It's hard to quantify what I hear though (they are MY ears, after all )
The scope will show the magnitude of any noise that's being produced. In this case, about 2mV peak.
All things considered, thats pretty good.

Do you know of any PC based spectrum analyzer that could suit my limited needs? I know you have the PC oscilloscope, which seems to work very well. Something in that same class would be fine for me.

This post needs a pic
Here's the back of the completed unit. Labeled the jacks and switch by hand with a sharpie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im001395.jpg (91.6 KB, 1107 views)
Old 25th February 2008, 12:21 AM   #29
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193
Do you know of any PC based spectrum analyzer that could suit my limited needs? I know you have the PC oscilloscope, which seems to work very well.
Have a look at Right Mark Audio Analyser. I use it a lot.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 25th February 2008, 12:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

Have a look at Right Mark Audio Analyser. I use it a lot.

Duh! Where's the smiley what slaps himslf in the head? I use RMAA. I forgot what it is.

Hide this!Advertise here!