Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2010, 06:25 AM   #131
40 watt is offline 40 watt  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Paid...

John, ya's got doolars...I think some green ether went your way...if the process went well. Paypal has "completed" status in my account re: invoice.

I hope the process worked...
Old 16th February 2010, 06:25 AM   #132
diyAudio Member

Default If one left, I would like to get it

Hi MJL21193,

If you have one left, I will take it (gladly)

Cheers

Peter
Old 17th February 2010, 01:38 AM   #133
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 watt View Post
I hope the process worked...
Got it, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhenk View Post
Hi MJL21193,

If you have one left, I will take it (gladly)
All out for now Peter but more soon. Send me a PM if you are still interested.
Old 18th February 2010, 02:20 AM   #134

I should have some new boards by early next week for the jig. Please PM me if you are interested.

Also I have had several inquiries about the microphone posted earlier and would like to see if there is any interest in this as a kit also:

_129.JPG

_167.JPG

It uses the WM-61A capsule and has a built in battery powered preamp. It is perfect for the speaker testing jig - just plug it in and turn it on.
Post you thoughts here.
I will be ordering a limited number of PC boards for these to start. I will post back here with pricing as soon as I have that pinned down.
Old 18th February 2010, 02:25 AM   #135
40 watt is offline 40 watt  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL21193 View Post
I should have some new boards by early next week for the jig. Please PM me if you are interested.

Also I have had several inquiries about the microphone posted earlier and would like to see if there is any interest in this as a kit also:

Attachment 158637

Attachment 158638

It uses the WM-61A capsule and has a built in battery powered preamp. It is perfect for the speaker testing jig - just plug it in and turn it on.
Post you thoughts here.
I will be ordering a limited number of PC boards for these to start. I will post back here with pricing as soon as I have that pinned down.
Count me in... I like...perfect mate for jig.
Old 18th February 2010, 04:33 AM   #136
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi John,
Any idea what the cost will come in at? It does look like a nice project.

You do such a good job at packaging, impressive.

-Chris
Old 18th February 2010, 04:37 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL21193 View Post
PM me - there is still one that is on the fence.
PM sent

Regarding the mic kit - can you test capsules vs a calibrated mic or such?

I've built a few DIY mics with Panasonic capsules - I just use them without power or pre-amp straight to my sound card. Works OK, maybe greater dynamic range with the power/preamp setup?

It'd be awesome if we had some way of having (at least close to) calibrated mics for cheaper. I've got a few mics, none calibrated.

The only way I see that happening is if we find that a certain "batch" of WM61A capsules are all pretty close, so just one needs to be calibrated and then if we buy the kit, we can all use the same cal file with decent results?
Old 18th February 2010, 06:48 AM   #138
bbe is offline bbe  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Count me in...
Old 18th February 2010, 10:55 PM   #139

First, all kits were shipped today. Let me know when you get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi John,
Any idea what the cost will come in at? It does look like a nice project.
Hi Chris,
I'm working on it - I need to come up with an easier way to make the case. The original is wood, which is fine for a prototype by doesn't fit for making multiples - it would be too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by critofur View Post
PM sent

Regarding the mic kit - can you test capsules vs a calibrated mic or such?
I don't think calibration is really needed for the DIY use of a measurement mic. There is a generic cal file available for the WM-61A capsule that flattens the HF response. The WM-61 is very linear in anyway.
SPL accuracy is not really critical, you want to be able to measure each drivers output relative to the other drivers and measure each speakers output relative to the other speaker.
If calibration is something you feel you need, the mic/preamp unit can be sent out for calibration, just like any other mic. The calibration comes in the form of a file they you input to the measurement software you're using (like Speaker Workshop or HOLMImpulse).

Last edited by MJL21193; 18th February 2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 19th February 2010, 01:44 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 watt View Post

Count me in... I like...perfect mate for jig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbe View Post
Count me in...
Ok, some interest but not as much as I expected. It would be nice to see a few more hands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by critofur View Post
I've built a few DIY mics with Panasonic capsules - I just use them without power or pre-amp straight to my sound card. Works OK, maybe greater dynamic range with the power/preamp setup?
I'm not sure just how good the mic input on a soundcard is - they are not supposed to be very good but it is probably good enough for speaker testing. I've never tried to use one for that before.
The preamp I have in this microphone is VERY good though and has a couple of handy features for measurement. First it is ultra portable - it is a self contained mic with preamp. Heck, when you are done measuring you can even do some Karaoke with it, just plug it in to any amp and sing along...
It has 2 gain settings, 20db and 10db for nearfield measurements. It's ultra low noise, battery powered with regulated phantom power for the electret capsule. Low current drain, a 9V battery will last a loooong time.

Enough pitch, I will order a few boards, see what I can scheme up for the case and ask again if there is any serious interest in this unit.
I can say that it has made these kind of measurements very convenient for me, I won't look back.

Hide this!Advertise here!