Cabinetmakers in Texas - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2008, 03:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Default Cabinetmakers in Texas

Hello everybody,
I'm looking for a cabinetmaker to build my TJL3 boxes. After a couple of projects I have realized that the everyman's tools leave something to be desired in terms of fit and finish. All parts are in, I just need a cabinet now. Does anyone have any recommendations or know anyone that can build/veneer for a reasonable price? I live in San Antonio so anywhere close would be preferrable.

Stephen
__________________
Cynics regard everybody as equally corrupt...Idealists regard everybody as equally corrupt, except themselves.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 05:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
This will probably seem like an odd suggestion, but look in the Yellow Pages for carpenters and cabinet makers. Also look for wood shops and woodworking stores.

Also, keep an ear out and ask friends, family, and co-workers if they know anyone who is a hobby woodworker.

Keep in mind that if they aren't experienced speaker builders, you are going to need to describe very detail to them. How you want panels mounted to each other. Do you want certain panels removable. Internal bracing. Do you want them to simply cut the wood, or do you want them to build and finish the cabinets? How deep do you want the recesses cut for flush mounting the speakers? etc....

I suggest, if you find someone, you show them pictures of the finished cabinet so they have an idea of what the finished product looks like.

Steve/bluewizard
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 06:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard
This will probably seem like an odd suggestion, but look in the Yellow Pages for carpenters and cabinet makers. Also look for wood shops and woodworking stores.
Not odd at all, I've already done that and have a maker in mind, but, its always better to ask others first.

Quote:
Keep in mind that if they aren't experienced speaker builders, you are going to need to describe very detail to them. How you want panels mounted to each other. Do you want certain panels removable. Internal bracing. Do you want them to simply cut the wood, or do you want them to build and finish the cabinets? How deep do you want the recesses cut for flush mounting the speakers? etc....

I suggest, if you find someone, you show them pictures of the finished cabinet so they have an idea of what the finished product looks like.

Steve/bluewizard
I have already taken care of all of this as well, Troels is amazing when it comes to answering questions beyond what are shown on his site. Basically, all the obvious is covered, I am just looking for endorsements of specific businesses or individuals that can complete the cabinetry clean, quick, and with good end result. I've been saving for this new project for a while now and looking at all this componentry is driving me crazy.
__________________
Cynics regard everybody as equally corrupt...Idealists regard everybody as equally corrupt, except themselves.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 06:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
luvdunhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by Seth Smith


Not odd at all, I've already done that and have a maker in mind, but, its always better to ask others first.



I have already taken care of all of this as well, Troels is amazing when it comes to answering questions beyond what are shown on his site. Basically, all the obvious is covered, I am just looking for endorsements of specific businesses or individuals that can complete the cabinetry clean, quick, and with good end result. I've been saving for this new project for a while now and looking at all this componentry is driving me crazy.
I just sent you e-mail
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 07:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
The absolute ideal siltation would be if you could find a hobby woodworker who has experience building speakers. Like they will work cheap, just for the fun of it, and they will probably do an excellent job. So, certainly if you can get a recommendation from here, you are much better off.

Good luck.

Steve/bluewizard
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 09:08 AM   #6
nttnmt is offline nttnmt  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Hi everybody,

I live in Austin, TX and I'm trying to find somebody to build speaker cabinets. Seth, have you find somebody in San Antonio yet? I wouldn't mind going there if I couldn't find a cabinet maker in Austin.

Thanks,
nttnmt
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 08:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Iowa City, IA
Quote:
Originally posted by nttnmt
Hi everybody,

I live in Austin, TX and I'm trying to find somebody to build speaker cabinets. Seth, have you find somebody in San Antonio yet? I wouldn't mind going there if I couldn't find a cabinet maker in Austin.

Thanks,
nttnmt
You might try contacting user Hank on either htguide or audiocircle.

What's the project you're working on?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:03 AM   #8
nttnmt is offline nttnmt  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I'm planning to build Etka Grande from Troels . Right now, I have the drivers but no parts for crossovers yet. Thanks for the info, I will search for Hank at HTguide or audiocircle later.

nttnmt
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Swedish cabinetmakers entry in audioverse estrea Introductions 11 4th March 2008 03:16 PM
Hello from Texas liasom Introductions 2 8th June 2007 02:45 PM
Hello from Texas.. midfi Introductions 2 25th July 2006 11:27 PM
Hello from Texas Micah Wells Introductions 2 22nd September 2004 05:43 PM
Jam in Texas MikeW The Lounge 43 13th September 2004 08:59 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:25 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2