Cabinet design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have basically decided on eminence drivers (psd:2002s-8 1" compression tweeter with a biradial horn & Delta Pro-12A12") crossover will be decided later (eminence recommends crossover at 1.8hz but I am thinking higher. The woofer has a pretty flat response all the way to 5000hz or so.) I am planning on using a ported cabinet design. My first question is regarding the cabinet. How close to the side baffles and/or the front baffle edge can you place the driver? I plan on using double layer 3/4 mdf glued together and using internal bracing. My intial thought is 2" each side of the baffle opening this will put the inside edge of the driver 1/2" - 1" or so from the side baffle without any dampening material.

Second question: How far should the port be from the woofer? The woofer cabinet wil be approximately 36" tall and 16 x 16 square but this is all intial thought proccess. I would prefer the cabinet as thin as possible and taller with a internal volume of 3.2 cubic ft, or so. I intially thought about putting the port on the front baffle.

Godzilla said:
Just curious, will this speaker be used for home or pro use?

Port placement will change the sound if it is on the back, front or side of the cabinet in relation to where the speaker is placed in the room. You will have to experiment in your room for best sound imo.

I like the drivers you chose. Good luck with your project.

Godzilla

They will be used for home audio use and will eventually be building a sub system. I spend a lot of time listening to live Grateful Dead and I'm looking to capture some of that sound. In the future I want to switch to valve amplification but that is another project and another day.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.