SB Acoustics... The stuff looks good

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Woah. Looks like they finally have some in stock. Well, there you go. From what I've heard though, they are as of yet to measure up to the Scanspeak counterparts which I think everyone was expecting them to be. But at that pricing, who needs them to. Looks like a very good budget-ish range. I think I might have to get a few into my grubby hands and have a play and see how they go...

Ahhh... well there you go. I dont really know if they are seperate or combined entities. Seems though no one at Wes knows much about it. Heres hoping no one gets to greedy and the pricing is similar to Madisound. SBA was saying something about the same pricing no matter where. So should give Jaycar products and the like a run for there money.

Speaking of which, I should have my measurement gear up in the coming weeks and measure the Jaycar drivers and see exactly what they can do. No one yet has had them measured have they Andy?

EDIT: Wes guys no idea?! Never had that before :p

sfreak said:
Ahhh... well there you go. I dont really know if they are seperate or combined entities. Seems though no one at Wes knows much about it. Heres hoping no one gets to greedy and the pricing is similar to Madisound. SBA was saying something about the same pricing no matter where. So should give Jaycar products and the like a run for there money.

Speaking of which, I should have my measurement gear up in the coming weeks and measure the Jaycar drivers and see exactly what they can do. No one yet has had them measured have they Andy?

EDIT: Wes guys no idea?! Never had that before :p

awaiting your results on the Jaycar stuff, cos I am not buying without more info.

Worried about the old stuff for me :p

As for the new stuff, only seen it on the website. Looks cheap and horrible to be brutally honest. Wait and see how the measurements stack up mind you until I make my final decision. I would go to my local Jaycar agent to have a closer look but I don't like them in there lol.

EDIT: When it all comes down to it, I think spending the extra $10-20 on the SB gear, it will offer better bang for your dollar. Going by the looks anyways. Stamped metal frame with the Jaycar gear doesn't float my boat. Wait and see what the pricing on the SB gear is first here in Aus...

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
vasyachkin said:

in any case it seems their only advantage over scan-speak is the price.

Well, I think with the 12" especially you got it wrong

Try model a closed box with the 12" and you will see that you are in fore some serious deep bass fore a closed box...however its hard to say if its real quality bass

I have not yet seen any other driver do what this 12" does in a closed box...on paper

Or if you fancy BR the 10" might be a hammer...that will go really deep

Why shouldnt it be 75mm voicecoil ?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
From reading the SB website it sounds like these drivers are the mainstream range with a performance/high cost range due in the future.

I do remember Zaph mentioning some measured data, that he'd found in Voice Coil magazine, on one of the woofers.

EDIT, here we go:

Voice Coil SB Acoustics tests...
This is a report on the test results of the new SB Acoustics 10" woofer in Voice Coil magazine. In my eyes, I'm a little disapointed, particularly with the Klippel results. Bl(x) looks pointed and asymmetrical, and Le(x) varies from 1.75 mH in the inwards position to 0.75 mH in the outwards position. Given that Klippel info, as expected the harmonic distortion sweeps don't look that great either. THD exceeds 2% at a few frequencies above 100Hz and probably averages 1.5% between 100 and 400 Hz. This motor is nothing better than what you see in cheap Asian crap. It makes a Seas ER18RNX look like gold, and even a Dayton RS270 out performs it in just about all ways. Results like this are not what I expect from the former Scan Speak guys. In another issue, a couple of new Tangband tweeters walked all over the SB Acoustics tweeter.

The Voice Coil write-up was completely non-judgemental. It could just as well have said "We have absolutely no comment on this woofer. Please turn to page 43 for the full page manufacturer's advertisement". I think the chances of the manufacturer sending me a test sample just about went down to zero. On the other hand, the amount I care just went down to zero also. It's not fun reporting stuff like this, particularly if the manufacturer is going to start a public relations campaign against me. (I hope the SBA guys are more professional than that) But I do know that people come to this site for maximum truth and minimum ********. It's my duty to deliver that.

Not looking good, at least for the SB 10".

Oh and Zaph also mentions he will be testing these SB drivers in the near future:

SB Acoustics SB25STC 1" tweeter
SB Acoustics SB17NRX35 6" woofer

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
4fun said:

Yes, look carefully at the picture in the pdf for the 12", clearly a big VC.

pardon !

the VC turns out much larger than i thought it would be for a magnet that size.

i measured it from the screen using a ruler and it really is 3"

i don't like the design. i would have made the VC shorter and magnetic gap taller, and reduced it to 2.5" diameter.

i ain't buying this c4ap.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
vasyachkin said:

pardon !

the VC turns out much larger than i thought it would be for a magnet that size.

i measured it from the screen using a ruler and it really is 3"

i don't like the design. i would have made the VC shorter and magnetic gap taller, and reduced it to 2.5" diameter.

i ain't buying this c4ap.

No, you may not buy it but others might do so.

I think it looks like a nice driver for closed box or large BR.
Large VC for low thermal compression and TS (sorry) parameters indicates low mechanical losses.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
if a 12" Dynaudio woofer mated with 12" Peerless subwoofer then 12" SB Acoustics is what their offspring would look like.

it looks like a good driver for the money. if you need to have plenty of excursion and power at a low price it should fit the bill.

this is neither a high end woofer nor a high end subwoofer though. its just a driver that is reasonably solid and reasonably priced.

not good enough for me though.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
At madisound the 12" is listed as a subwoofer, which surprices me a bit
Well, from the Xmax you could say it is a sub, but I rate it "only" as a ordinary woofer with plenty of safety Xmax
Mmms is only 99gr and the low Fs obviously comes from soft surround...low midrange seems to be ok

If it stays within reasonably Xmax I supppose it will be fine...22mm peak to peak travel is pretty much, and with 90db SPL its really not needed fore normal listening..

My double 8" are really barely moving when playing loud, but I suppose everything can be said to be relative

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.