Building the best loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You lower Fs by sqrtHz

Perhaps a bit misleading without the conditions.

A tightly coupled isobarik woofer has 1/2 Vas, same Fs, same Qt, 2x mass and BL vrs a single one of the woofers.

So (ignoring the volume of the isobarik chamber) if you put a compund driver in a box volume V, it has the same response as a single driver in a box of 2*V volume. So isobarik simply lets you use a box half as big (+ chamber) as you would need for a single woofer.

4 drivers (2 isobarik pairs) can be put in the volume you would use for 1.

Putting

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You are right. I had in memory something about targeting the same volume and using it for going lower scenario or I dug it up from simple mass loading. Ignore my earlier post. Bad memory. Compound just allows half a box is a straight rule.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Of course. Those are quality gains to consider as positives. Still there is a 3dbW loss in sensitivity that demands horsepower. The good thing is there are affordable high SPL pro woofers around that were not the norm in the 80s when some companies like Linn used the principle, plus class D. So this Isobarik thing becomes very viable again IMHO.

Of course. Those are quality gains to consider as positives. Still there is a 3dbW loss in sensitivity that demands horsepower. The good thing is there are affordable high SPL pro woofers around that were not the norm in the 80s when some companies like Linn used the principle, plus class D. So this Isobarik thing becomes very viable again IMHO.

Exactly, hence why I'm seriously considering incorporating an isobaric design in my next project. :D

What I am looking for is a woofer/tweeter combo that will give me extreme detail while being natural and smooth. I thought maybe the Seas Excel would do that for the woofer, not sure about the tweeter. I am still considering the morel supreme 130. Is there a better tweeter I should consider? Also, what size woofer would be best? I was looking at the 7 inch.

What is the difference between paper and magnesium? Will one provide more bass response/ better detail?

For tweeters why not look at Hiquphon?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.