How do I make spherical enclosures? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2008, 03:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How do I make spherical enclosures?

I'm seriously thinking about making spherical enclosures for my speaker project. Preferably, using concrete.

Anyone ever done this before? I can't quite figure out how to make molds and stuff.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 11th February 2008, 04:42 PM   #2
flexus is offline flexus  Austria
diyAudio Member

hi roch
im interested too in designing something spherical. if possible i would choose the seas Tr18. a coax is probably the only choice, or you take some broadband driver.
for the enclosure my idea would have been to take glass-fiber or sliced wood in shapes that build a sphere together. the fiber should be reinforced with wood too. no more thoughts about it at the moment.
greets
Old 11th February 2008, 05:33 PM   #3
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

I've forgotten the name of it, but there is a tube that is used for pouring cement columns,.......Spiro-tube, or something to that effect. It has been used several times recently by DIYers. I assume it is strong enough to work for you, and you can get it in different diameters too.

Oh, I remember, SonoTube. I assume that you can get it locally without any trouble.
Old 11th February 2008, 05:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I designed these for a project at work...

Fostex F200A in a steel sphere

Once damped these sounded amazingly fast and open. I wish I could afford a pair for use at home!
Old 11th February 2008, 05:42 PM   #5
drewmc is offline drewmc  United States
diyAudio Member

Parts Express has a recent "DIY" project called the Shericals that uses cast enclosures.

Shericals
Old 11th February 2008, 05:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Enclosure

Nice low tech solution.

Get a sphrical object of a size your like.... stryo ball, beach ball or etc. Can't find the right size, then make one of paper mache.

Then lay up a fiberglass cloth and resin shell over the ouside of said object. Test first to be sure your resin doesn't ruin the form.

When done, either dig the form out of the shell or split the shell, remove the form and reglass the shell, adding driver mounting details in the process.

Cyclotronguy
Old 11th February 2008, 06:05 PM   #7
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Someone on the forum recently suggested wooden bowls from IKEA use in pairs to form a sphere.

Somewhere at home I have an article re:- building speakers from styrofoam spheres used in handicrafts. It used a small and medium for the tweeter and mid with a trapezoid box for bass.
Old 11th February 2008, 07:32 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
Someone on the forum recently suggested wooden bowls from IKEA use in pairs to form a sphere.
The wooden bowls are probably only good for a 3 or maybe 4" (i have been sorely temped)... they also have larger steel ones. Somewhere on the forum is a push-push sub using the big steel ones. Lovely.

dave
Old 11th February 2008, 07:36 PM   #9
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok, I did a google search on Sonotube and speakerbuilding and I came up with the following:

Building a Sonotube Subwoofer

Sonotube FAQ for speakerbuilding

This one is from AudioKarma, and is about 5 years old, Building an Acoustic Wave Cannon

Sonotube Sub Design Help

Where to buy Sonotube for building a subwoofer?

DIY Project # 11 - A Subwoofer Made from Sonotube and the Hsu 12" Driver - September, 1999

And from right here at DIY

Sonotube RL-p15 Project with questions...

"SDSS 1.1"
Single-Driver, Ported Tube Speakers

Ok, that should be enough for anyone as a starter. YOu can Google for more information. Just insert Sonotube in the search, and you will find much more.
Old 11th February 2008, 08:19 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by John L
Ok, I did a google search on Sonotube and speakerbuilding
John,

SonoTube is good for building circular prisms, but i don't know how you'd use it for a sphere.

BTW the SonoTube people are quite aggressive about the use of the term SonoTube as a generic name for cyclindrical cardboard forms.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!