Would i be able to assemble my own crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've always been into DIY speakers, but I've never been apart of the ACTUAL DIY. I've had the boxes built, the crossovers assembled...etc etc...

now, this time, I'm doing a center channel and would like to learn. I bought the router and the circle jig...made the box...now I'm wondering if I should attempt the crossover. I can buy a 25 watt soldering iron for $9.99...would the be OK?
I read the how-to on partsexpress, which seemed pretty helpful, but in reality for someone that's never done this before, would I be able to do it without too many problems?

Can anyone shed some light, maybe post some progress pictures?

Thanks!

get some blue tack as well. Initially lay the cross-over out on a board of mdf as is on the design, at a scale that allows you to fit the bigger components. Hold in place with the blue tack.

Then you can start juggling the components to compress the layout.

I'm not sure that 25watts is really enough soldering power if working with thickish wires. Other might think it is. I use a 60w iirc.

ps.. try to start with a simple x-o, not one with 1000 components :D

I bought a 60watt soldering iron today.

I get the parts on Monday I'm hoping...is there anything else I should have? I'm building this center channel using almost the same crossover as my front speakers. I had the crossover assembled for me, so i'm hoping i can just look at it and sorta copy it. The only thing is the crossover for the fronts have a woofer, while the center channel just has mids. So its the same crossover, minus the woofer section.

Is it pretty easy to do?

60 watts is much better. I use "perf board" for my bases - thin (1/8" or so) pressed board from Home Depot with all those holes in it. You can fasten your components to it with zip ties - another indispensible XO build component. Some people like to use hot glue & the like, usually in addition to the glue - I like double sided tape - just a little less mess and hassle IMO but that's just my preference.

You first XO build is always a little scary but believe me it's actually very easy and it gets fun too. If you've got a decent camera take some pics as you're going and post them - people will be able to tell you if you're doing it right. Remember in most cases with XOs what can be done can be undone, so go for it!

PoorSound said:
I bought a 60watt soldering iron today.

I get the parts on Monday I'm hoping...is there anything else I should have? I'm building this center channel using almost the same crossover as my front speakers. I had the crossover assembled for me, so i'm hoping i can just look at it and sorta copy it. The only thing is the crossover for the fronts have a woofer, while the center channel just has mids. So its the same crossover, minus the woofer section.

Is it pretty easy to do?

Certainly if you have one to copy that will help big time !!

There is only one way you will find out if its easy ! :smash:

Good luck !! And take your time. Get the feel of how long you need to touch the solder joints. minimal time is best . If you have small components its often good to attach a pair of thin nose pliers between the joint and the component as a heat sink.
Fortunately, most of the components in a x-o are generally pretty beefy !!
and most of all.. don't grab the wrong end of the soldering iron !!!

Awesome thanks guys!

I'm kind of anxious to start, because I know it'll be a very handy ability. I'm a little nervous because it seems like a somewhat complex crossover. Luckily, I only have one to do!

But I think I will take some progress pics to see how I'm doing.

thanks for everything

heres a photo of the crossover in my speakers now. I'm going to be assembling the same thing today, minus the low pass filter. Is this a little too complicated for a first timer?
Can I just use a glue gun, or silicone to hold the parts down? Can glue or silicone hit the coils without harming them?

Any other advice?

435448847_71501e92a4.jpg

PoorSound said:
Can I just use a glue gun, or silicone to hold the parts down? Can glue or silicone hit the coils without harming them?
No problem at all, hot glue works just fine. Some waterproof silicone has a solvent/plasticizer that can damager some rubber and plastic, so I would recommend that hot glue. Don't be afraid to use a lot, once you are sure your wiring is right.

If you have a bit of extra cash, a real temperature controlled soldering station makes soldering much easier - and makes it much harder to damage components. I have a 200W Weller station --- it's got enough grunt for really thick wire, but the temperature control means it won't damage components.

Got the parts today. I'm a little lost.

I think i might be short one part...but I'm not sure. So I don't have to take apart my front speakers I'm looking at the picture I posted above to try and duplicate the layout, minus the large low pass filter. I see 4 resistors but I have received 3. A resistor wouldn't have any part in the woofer section would it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.